What's new

AC88U downgrading from 384.19 - Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mongodb

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been having throughput issues with 384.19 ever since I upgraded a few weeks ago. The CPU utilisation keeps going up and then sits around 80% after about 5 days of a reboot needing another reboot to bring CPU back down to 10-20% during which time speeds are good.

I need to have a reliable service at home as we're both working from home and I cannot afford to be spending time on this every few days.

The only option is going back to an older version of Merlin because up until it was installed on the router, it worked fine for weeks and months without needing a reboot.

My question is- what do I need to be aware of when downgrading from the most recent version of Merlin to a few releases ago? Any tips/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've been having throughput issues with 384.19 ever since I upgraded a few weeks ago. The CPU utilisation keeps going up and then sits around 80% after about 5 days of a reboot needing another reboot to bring CPU back down to 10-20% during which time speeds are good.

I need to have a reliable service at home as we're both working from home and I cannot afford to be spending time on this every few days.

The only option is going back to an older version of Merlin because up until it was installed on the router, it worked fine for weeks and months without needing a reboot.

My question is- what do I need to be aware of when downgrading from the most recent version of Merlin to a few releases ago? Any tips/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The safest approach is a clean install... flash it, factory reset it, and configure it from scratch.

OE

Need help please- I've flashed 384.17 to the AC88U and it has come up but my old management login credentials do not work any more. How can I get back into the router?

Need help please- I've flashed 384.17 to the AC88U and it has come up but my old management login credentials do not work any more. How can I get back into the router?
factory reset it. 384.19 encrypted the password so older firmware versions cannot understand it if you downgrade.

Either the WPS or the reset button via a pen/paper clip.

Thanks. I've done the wps reset and am connected to the router but it doesn't appear to save the modified username and password. The default works but doesnt actually save the creds I'm putting in.

If you can get into the router, try a factory reset using the UI. I went through this, too from .19 back to .18. Took several tries to get it fully wiped and reset.

See that's the problem, I get the login page and it takes the default admin admin and asks me to change the login details. I do that and click modify but it's not saving it and therefore not letting me log into the router at all.

Almost like the disk is write protected? I've pulled out the USB drive just in case but nothings changed.

I'm also going to point you the official ASUS factory reset page as a supplement to L&LD's instructions. The factory reset steps are very specific for the AC88U/AC86U/plus more models.

There are 5 different factory reset methods -> separated by model -> https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039074

We discussed this in another thread a while ago. No one agreed on why they are different for specific models but they are YMMV and I believe ASUS would not have listed them in this manner if they did not have a good reason based on the design of those models.

Sadly, once you move to 384.19, there is no reverting to earlier without a full factory reset b/c of the ID/PW encryption changes ASUS cut into 384.19. Good Luck! Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

Last edited:
And make sure that the browser cache is cleared; it may be retaining old settings without notification.

Better yet, use a different browser to see if that helps.

Thanks everyone who chimed in and helped out. There was an issue at my end I've since fixed and reconfigured AC88U.

In a way, it was good to be able to clear out the old nvram settings and revisit them with a fresh pair of eyes/requirements.