What's new

AC88U interfering with some downloads while in router mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Things I will try next:

- different cable between the ASUS and the Huawei. I don't think it's likely, but it's easy enough to try and put away that hypothesis.
- connect the ASUS router to a different LAN port on the Huawei. I just realized that there's still a chance it could be the Huawei LTE router. I had the ASUS plugged into LAN4 on the Huawei router. When I tested an alternate Wifi router plugged into the Huawei, I probably used a different port.
- bring the ASUS router to a friend's house, plug it into his network, and see if the issue persists

- if the issue is still present, leave the Asus there and take your friend's router. :)
Love it! And I'll leave a printout of that PDF the AC88U is having trouble downloading, in case he ever encounters this same EXACT issue :).

Small update:
- I tried connecting the AC88U to a different port on the Huawei router. It did not solve the issue
- I tried using a different cable to connect the AC88U to the Huawei router. It did not solve the issue

I filed a support request with ASUS. Unless they solve it, I am getting to the point where I will return this router for service or exchange. I will do this after I try it out at my friend's house.

Probably not your problem, but as you're using an LTE router try enabling either Extend the TTL value or Spoof LAN TTL value on the WAN - Internet Connection page.

Probably not your problem, but as you're using an LTE router try enabling either Extend the TTL value or Spoof LAN TTL value on the WAN - Internet Connection page.
Thanks for the idea. I tried it, but it did not solve the problem. I tried toggling those setting individually, and both at once. Neither option helped.

sfx2000 might be on to something. I am away from home right now, so I can't try the MTU size suggestion. But I did hook up my ASUS at a friend's house and it works well. He's on a fiber connection. I plugged the AC88U into his router, to simulate a similar network-within-a-network setup I have at home. With the AC88U in router mode, all the wget tests from above pass with flying colors. Of course the download speeds are much quicker due to the fiber connection. The main thing is that both the Skoda PDF and the Notion installer download at a steady speed, with no degradation or stalling.

So the latest hypothesis is that this is some kind of LTE-AC88U interaction. WIll keep looking. Good news is that I will be getting fiber soon so all the issues may go away.

I reduced the MTU size on the Huawei LTE router to 1492 from 1500. It did not fix the issue.
Try changing the MTU on the Asus' WAN interface rather than on the Huawei.

EDIT: Just realised that you're probably using stock firmware rather than Merlin's, so the MTU option probably isn't available.

Try changing the MTU on the Asus' WAN interface rather than on the Huawei.

EDIT: Just realised that you're probably using stock firmware rather than Merlin's, so the MTU option probably isn't available.
Correct. I am using the stock firmware. I can only adjust the MTU size on the LAN side.

Should I change to the Merlin firmware? From what I see it is just a re-flash. Can I go back to the stock firmware just as easily?

From what I see it is just a re-flash. Can I go back to the stock firmware just as easily?
Yes it's easy to flash back and forth between stock and Merlin.

It's often recommended to do a factory reset and manual setup after going from one to the other but it's not always necessary. I suggest you make a backup of your current settings before you begin. That way if Merlin doesn't help you can quickly go back to your old setup by reinstalling stock firmware, doing a factory reset and then reloading your old settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!