What's new

AIMesh problem with RT-AX88U Pro router and RT-AC88U node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arctan

New Around Here
Hello, I previously had AIMesh with RT-AC88U as Wireless AP / AIMesh router and Blue Cave as AIMesh node. It worked very well for me for several years (since 2019).

I just decided to upgrade my router to the RT-AX88U Pro, which I set up as the new Wireless AP / AIMesh router. I reset the old devices (RT-AC88U, Blue Cave) as AIMesh nodes for this router. Both nodes are connected via Ethernet backhaul. All three devices have the latest firmware.

I walk around my house with an iPhone running WiFi Sweetspots to monitor the speed. I can get 500-600 Mbps near the new router. The Blue Cave AIMesh node works as expected with the new router. For example, I can see clients connected to the Blue Cave on the new router web interface, and devices in that area of the house have good internet speed.

The problem is the RT-AC88U node. I don't see clients connecting to it. When I walk close to it, the WiFi speed reported drops significantly. Suddenly, there is a burst of activity at 700 Mbps, and then the WiFi connection is dropped. I have reproduced this "burst followed by disconnect" several times. If the RT-AC88U is turned off, the WiFi speed is bad in this area of the house is bad, but it does not suddenly disconnect. So somehow, the handoff from the router to the node is failing.

When I set the RT-AC88U mode as a WiFi extender, it works very well, but it has a different SSID, not the seamless experience of AIMesh.

Can anyone help me with ideas on how to get the RT-AC88U running as an AIMesh node?

Three APs in how big an area?

OE

Around 2500 sq ft which is probably not that large for 3 APs. However, the wifi signal falls off dramatically between rooms due to the walls. Ethernet backhaul was essential in my older system.

I decided to stop futzing with the older hardware and solved the problem with a different AiMesh node. So even though I never solved the original mysterious burst and disconnect problem, I have a working system now

i have had the same issue with a RT-AX88U and RT-AC86U
i think the burst is not really a burst but a fluke which happens just before the disconnect(i do not think this is causing the disconnect)
i now have aRT-AX88U with aRT-AX86U pro (both AX) and did not experience this anymore.

i think these things happen because the routers are not using the same standard, eg mixing AX with AC might cause these side effects
e.g. when it jumps from AX to AC connection

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!