AC88u weird WAN disconnected bug

Oferlaor

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Had a similar issue to the one described in the "WAN disconnect" thread, but also different enough so that I am opening a separate thread.

I have an AC88u (i.e., non HND) running Merlin 386.5_2, it's connected via a 1Gbps WAN connection to a fiber connection, using PPPoE for connectivity. I have VPN on, but only for specific clients (using openVPN to "unlimited VPN service"). I use Connect to DNS Server automatically "NO" with 1.1.1.1 and my primary and 8.8.8.8 as my secondary.

It has been running stable, but last night there was a very weird disconnect. Most of my network was down (no ping to 8.8.8.8 so not just DNS), but some clients still managed to get out to the internet. I was able to get out, but the WAN display showed "disconnected".

I rebooted both the fiber adapter (physically) and the AC88u (by pressing reboot on the GUI). It made things worse, after reboot nothing worked. Fiber adapter showed a steady connection. Multiple disconnects and reconnects between fiber adapter and WAN connection did nothing. Ultimately, a hard (physical) restart of the unit revived the internet connection.

Nothing interesting was in the logs (including no info on failed PPPoE connections). That's the weird part, I would expect the logs to reflect it trying and failing to do ... Something...

should I switch to my ISP's DNS clients? Any ideas?

paulbates

Regular Contributor
I recently went through something similar with an AC88. I got the red light and WAN connectivity was down. This was during a long period (years?) of having not logged in, changes or even FW upgrades. Though my service is cable and <1Gb, the wired connection to the cable modem from the AC88 was 1Gb. For a time I could resuscitate it by simply powering down/up the AC88. I was blaming the cable modem initially as that it didn't always fair well with power / brown outs... but it wasn't the cable modem or the cable to it.
I researched here on SNB, and reset, factory reset, flashed firmware, loaded settings manually. It looks like after ~ 6 years, the WAN port failed.

Last edited:

follower

Very Senior Member
I recently went through something similar with an AC88. I got the red light and WAN connectivity was down. Though my service is cable and <1Gb, the wired connection to the cable modem from the AC88 was 1Gb.
I researched here on SNB, and reset, factory reset, flashed firmware, loaded settings manually. It looks like after ~ 6 years, the WAN port failed.
That's how AC88U works. AC88U has a lot of issues. That's why I gave them to my friend years ago. My conclusion is AC88U has hardware defects in the product itself. Anyway, 6 years? Let it go and buy a brand new router. It was one of the worst routers ever.

paulbates

Regular Contributor
That's how AC88U works. AC88U has a lot of issues. That's why I gave them to my friend years ago. My conclusion is AC88U has hardware defects in the product itself. Anyway, 6 years? Let it go and buy a brand new router. It was one of the worst routers ever.
I did use that event as the opportunity to upgrade the router, CM and service. But I'm not that disappointed in the AC88. 5+ years is a long time to own an network appliance these days IMO.
When I first got it, I had the LAN ports fully cabled with computers, printers and iot devices. Then a few years later I read here about "don't use ports 5-8"
I found it unusual that the 8 ports were divided not only across two separate switches, but 2 different brands of switches. However I never experienced a problem with them.