What's new

AC88u weird WAN disconnected bug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oferlaor

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Had a similar issue to the one described in the "WAN disconnect" thread, but also different enough so that I am opening a separate thread.

I have an AC88u (i.e., non HND) running Merlin 386.5_2, it's connected via a 1Gbps WAN connection to a fiber connection, using PPPoE for connectivity. I have VPN on, but only for specific clients (using openVPN to "unlimited VPN service"). I use Connect to DNS Server automatically "NO" with 1.1.1.1 and my primary and 8.8.8.8 as my secondary.

It has been running stable, but last night there was a very weird disconnect. Most of my network was down (no ping to 8.8.8.8 so not just DNS), but some clients still managed to get out to the internet. I was able to get out, but the WAN display showed "disconnected".

I rebooted both the fiber adapter (physically) and the AC88u (by pressing reboot on the GUI). It made things worse, after reboot nothing worked. Fiber adapter showed a steady connection. Multiple disconnects and reconnects between fiber adapter and WAN connection did nothing. Ultimately, a hard (physical) restart of the unit revived the internet connection.

Nothing interesting was in the logs (including no info on failed PPPoE connections). That's the weird part, I would expect the logs to reflect it trying and failing to do ... Something...

should I switch to my ISP's DNS clients? Any ideas?

I recently went through something similar with an AC88. I got the red light and WAN connectivity was down. This was during a long period (years?) of having not logged in, changes or even FW upgrades. Though my service is cable and <1Gb, the wired connection to the cable modem from the AC88 was 1Gb. For a time I could resuscitate it by simply powering down/up the AC88. I was blaming the cable modem initially as that it didn't always fair well with power / brown outs... but it wasn't the cable modem or the cable to it.
I researched here on SNB, and reset, factory reset, flashed firmware, loaded settings manually. It looks like after ~ 6 years, the WAN port failed.

Last edited:
I recently went through something similar with an AC88. I got the red light and WAN connectivity was down. Though my service is cable and <1Gb, the wired connection to the cable modem from the AC88 was 1Gb.
I researched here on SNB, and reset, factory reset, flashed firmware, loaded settings manually. It looks like after ~ 6 years, the WAN port failed.
That's how AC88U works. AC88U has a lot of issues. That's why I gave them to my friend years ago. My conclusion is AC88U has hardware defects in the product itself. Anyway, 6 years? Let it go and buy a brand new router. It was one of the worst routers ever.

That's how AC88U works. AC88U has a lot of issues. That's why I gave them to my friend years ago. My conclusion is AC88U has hardware defects in the product itself. Anyway, 6 years? Let it go and buy a brand new router. It was one of the worst routers ever.
I did use that event as the opportunity to upgrade the router, CM and service. But I'm not that disappointed in the AC88. 5+ years is a long time to own an network appliance these days IMO.
When I first got it, I had the LAN ports fully cabled with computers, printers and iot devices. Then a few years later I read here about "don't use ports 5-8"
I found it unusual that the 8 ports were divided not only across two separate switches, but 2 different brands of switches. However I never experienced a problem with them.