What's new

Access modem admin page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drm200

Occasional Visitor
I have a modem (in bridge mode) connected to my Asus router (with Merlin).
My modem has an ip of 10.0.0.1
My router has DHCP enabled and its ip address is 192.168.50.1

I also have Merlin set up with a VPN. If the VPN is disabled i can access the modem admin page (10.0.0.1) without problem. However, once the VPN is enabled, I can no longer access the modem admin page. This makes sense to me sense the traffic is being routed thru the VPN

Is there a method using VPN director (or something else) that would allow access of the router admin page while using the VPN?

I am not sure if this is relevant or not, but I am also running a pihole as my DNS server

Thanks for the reply. I have used VPN director for a few devices without problem. So when I encountered this problem the first thing I tried was to create a rule for local ip 10.0.0.1 that routed it thru WAN. But that didnt work.

So I tried your suggestion to create a rule for remote ip 10.0.0.1 routed thru the LAN. That works fine! But I really don’t know what I have done. Is there a reason that I should not do this (for example VPN leakage or privacy)?

Why is 10.0.0.1 considered a remote IP and not a local IP? I have not found any explanations when I am googling for help on VPN director.

The term "remote-ip" in the VPN Director can be misleading. It just means destination IP, whether that is actually local (physically nearby) or remote (physically distant). I personally would have preferred the VPN Director used source-ip and destination-ip rather than local-ip and remote-ip to avoid such confusion.

Also, since the modem has an IP address of 10.0.0.1, you don't have to worry about any leaks, I believe. 10.x.x.x is a non-routable IP address. What that means is that if it is "sent out", it will be ignored. There are certain IP/ranges of IP addresses that are defined as non-routable. Many internal/private networks use these non-routable addresses so that all devices don't need unique IP addresses. Google search is your friend:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!