1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

access point questions

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by naper82, Jun 6, 2020.

1. naper82

naper82 Occasional Visitor

I have one AP running with different SSID and password than the main router.

All devices are config to use main router SSID/password and connect to main router. When I login to the AP I see a subset of the devices (21 out of 30) in the client list as wired connection, is this expected? Is it possible to show only devices that connect to that particular AP directly?

Also for those devices show up in the AP, the hostname are not correct as what I have setup in the main router. What settings need to be done so they can have correct hostname show up in AP?

I am setting up this AP only for some of remote devices that are difficult to connect to main router and don't plan to allow other devices to connect.

2. EventPhotoMan

EventPhotoMan Very Senior Member

Log in to the access point, see the client list there. It will show who is wirelessly connected.

as for the host names, you will have to manually change them on the access point. They don’t automatically adapt to your main router. I wish it did, I have many access points.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    naper82 likes this.
  3. naper82

Thanks. Where to manually change hostname on AP? Didn't find from the web UI.

4. EventPhotoMan

Client list is one place.

naper82 likes this.
  5. naper82

ah, didn't know I can change hostname there. I knew the dhcp static ip and /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add in main router but seems those are not available on AP.

Where are those hostnames saved? Is there a way to change it via command line?

Thanks

6. EventPhotoMan

I’m hoping somebody else can answer those kids I do like to know I have been doing it manually

naper82 likes this.