What's new

Access SMB Drive Via OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pabla

Regular Contributor
Just got into the VPN game today using IPVanish and Openvpn on my ac3100 running 384.13. Am able to successfully access my LAN when connected through the VPN. Have a media player app called infuse on my iPhone that plays from my SMB drive when I'm connected locally. The issue I'm facing is that I'm not able to connect to my SMB drive through the VPN, the app doesn't see the drive. I am able to connect through FTP, but I prefer to use SMB due its stability with Infuse. I have read countless forums on this issue and what Im gathering is that my VPN IP pool must be in the range 192.168.1.XX but I cannot find an IP pool range in the VPN section. Maybe I'm misunderstanding that. My overall goal with the VPN is to be able to access my USB 3.0 mapped drive via SMB on my laptop and phone that way I can stream movies etc. when not locally connected. Any help would be appreciated!

that plays from my SMB drive when I'm connected locally
I should know better than to reply since I know almost nothing about VPN other than to say ... I've had similar problems.

There are two ways to run Open VPN; the "remote" becomes a member of the target network (bridged / TAP) or the "remote" is a member of a different network (routed / TUN).

If you're using TUN then it's likely a fire wall issue on your laptop with the SMB drive.

It you're using TAP
VPN IP pool must be in the range 192.168.1.XX but I cannot find an IP pool range in the VPN section
Well, that's what I ran into.

So I set up my Asus router to use PPTP VPN instead. (Warning, everyone will tell you it's a major security breach.) It was a "bridged" solution so the "remote" looked like it was a member of the network, it was easy/obvious where to set address assignments and the SMB mount worked.

PPTP client comes built-in with Windows, I do not know about iPhone availability.

Disclaimer; I have no idea what "IPVanish" is : -)

Last edited:
It you're using TAP
my VPN IP pool must be in the range 192.168.1.XX but I cannot find an IP pool range in the VPN section.
When switching from TUN to TAP another option becomes available, "Allocate from DHCP". This will do what he asks. You could choose No for that and then another option becomes available, "Client Address Pool" where you can manually specify a particular range, but there's really no point in doing that.

PPTP client comes built-in with Windows, I do not know about iPhone availability.
PPTP was removed for security reasons.

Disclaimer; I have no idea what "IPVanish" is : -)
IPVanish is just another commercial VPN service, like NordVPN, PIA, etc.

When switching from TUN to TAP another option becomes available, "Allocate from DHCP". This will do what he asks. You could choose No for that and then another option becomes available, "Client Address Pool" where you can manually specify a particular range, but there's really no point in doing that.
Awesome! Somehow I missed that last year when I was setting up mine. Thank you!
PPTP was removed for security reasons
Missed that too. I shut down my PPTP connection shortly after I got everything working. It was a client/server database application. It worked but latency made it virtually unusable. (I replaced it with Windows remote desktop and it works great!)

PPTP was removed for security reasons.

IPVanish is just another commercial VPN service, like NordVPN, PIA, etc.

Thanks for the responses but my understanding is that TAP only works with windows?

Thanks for the responses but my understanding is that TAP only works with windows?
If that's true (but it's just a client so I don't think it matters, I think it's more a server/host thing) then you're using TUN. If that's true then we're back to a likely firewall issue on the Window Laptop with the SMB mount. The firewall grants privileges on your local network that it doesn't grant to "outsiders". Firewall settings can be modified.

Last edited:
If that's true then you're using TUN. If that's true then we're back to a likely firewall issue on the Window Laptop with the SMB mount. The firewall grants privileges on your local network that it doesn't grant to "outsiders". Firewall settings can be modified.
I gave TAP a try, and was able to select the IP pool. My iOS device is not longer able to connect to the vpn though. I was able to connect through my Mac computer, but wasn't able to see any drives without mapping them manually.

Are the SMB shares on the router or other devices on your LAN?

With a TUN connection you won't be able to "browse" the remote network, but you should still be able to access things (firewalls permitting) by IP address.

Are the SMB shares on the router or other devices on your LAN?

With a TUN connection you won't be able to "browse" the remote network, but you should still be able to access things (firewalls permitting) by IP address.
They’re on the router-forgot to mention that.

They’re on the router-forgot to mention that
Misread that part. (I thought you had said that you had a flash drive on your laptop that you wanted to share : -) Anyway router based SMB is old to ancient. It's normally not visible by Windows 10 machines until you do one of a couple things; "map" the drive or tell Windows to look for old versions of SMB. I've done it but no longer remember how I did ... no surprise there : -)

Misread that part. (I thought you had said that you had a flash drive on your laptop that you wanted to share : -) Anyway router based SMB is old to ancient. It's normally not visible by Windows 10 machines until to do one of a couple things; "map" the drive or tell Windows to look for old versions of SMB. I've done it but no longer remember how I did ... no surprise there : -)
Ahh I see. More signs pointing me to just setting up a dedicated NAS :rolleyes:

Ahh I see. More signs pointing me to just setting up a dedicated NAS :rolleyes:
<lol> Maybe. It's still a good prototyping tool. If/when you get it working and then find you never use it you saved some bucks. That's what happened to me for one application. For another I found just leaving an old PC on 24 x 7 was good enough. A real NAS would put a dent in my beer budget : -)

<lol> Maybe. It's still a good prototyping tool. If/when you get it working and then find you never use it you saved some bucks. That's what happened to me for one application. For another I found just leaving an old PC on 24 x 7 was good enough. A real NAS would put a dent in my beer budget : -)
Yea I'm hoping to get my HDD access working somehow, will try FTP which has been okay for me. We can't let the beer budget be effected at all costs.