What's new

Access Webserver on a 2nd Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I am experimenting with a simple setup as shown below. PC2 is hosting an EventGhost web server. With the static route defined PC1 can access this server on PC2 without issue. My question is, can this same server be accessed from the WAN preferably without enabling port forwarding on the primary router??? What are my options??

double.jpg

Private IP addressing is not routable on the internet. Your server can only be accessed from the internet WAN side without going through NAT if you have a real internet IP address for your web server. You did not post what your internet WAN IP is.

Last edited:
Private IP addressing is not routable on the internet. Your server can only be accessed from the internet WAN side without going through NAT if you have a real internet IP address for your web server. .

Not only. If I add add port forwarding on the primary router to point to the secondary router, I can access this server.
i.e.
URL: WAN.eventghostserver.com:5000/?This.Is.A.Msg
Enable Port Forwarding and set Primary router to route anything with port 5000 to 192.168.2.200 lan port 88
Voila.....
But like I said in my first post I am looking for an alternative to port forwarding

You did not post what your internet WAN IP is.

Dont understand why I would????

Port forwarding is going from a public IP address to a private IP address so it should work. The only way you can route on your primary WAN is to use a public IP address. Internet routers all drop private IP addresses.

The only reason I was interested in your primary WAN IP is make sure you were on the internet with a public IP address. If you are plugged into a lab some where then your primary WAN might not be a public IP address.