What's new

Accessing cable modem admin screen outside LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ags

Regular Contributor
I have a SB6141 cable modem. I can access the admin page from my LAN using 192.168.100.1 as expected. Is there a way to access this from outside my LAN (Internet/WAN)?

I have a SB6141 cable modem. I can access the admin page from my LAN using 192.168.100.1 as expected. Is there a way to access this from outside my LAN (Internet/WAN)?
Nothing relatively simple that I can think of.
Try a static route in your router's config.
But modem has no password on the admin interface.

Or.. make your entire LAN's subnet 192.168.100.x.
Then ensure DHCP won't use 192.168.100.1.
If any PCs or NASes have static LAN IP assignments, you'll have to change those. For DHCP renewals on other PCs.
Then setup a port-forward in the router so requests on port 5000 (or other) are forwarded to 192.168.100.1:80
Never tried this.

Last edited:
Wow, you raise a good point. I didn't think about there not being any authorization on the modem admin page. Either of the methods you propose would result in unprotected entry (if found by a simple port scan I suppose). Probably best not to even attempt it if so.

Getting a bit off-topic now, but I was wondering how the 100.1 address worked. Is there a "virtual" MAC for the admin page, separate from the MAC for the actual WAN?

This worked to regain access to the CM 1100 Modem!!
Find your IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/
Go to the router LAN - Route page and enable static routes, then add this route info:

192.168.100.1255.255.255.255Your IP Address2WAN
Hit Apply button and access your modem as before!!!!!

This worked to regain access to the CM 1100 Modem!!
Find your IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/
Go to the router LAN - Route page and enable static routes, then add this route info:

192.168.100.1255.255.255.255Your IP Address2WAN

Hit Apply button and access your modem as before!!!!!

That post is from 9 years ago and they wanted to be able to access the modem from the WAN (outside the network). I believe your issue was accessing it from within the LAN.

That post is from 9 years ago and they wanted to be able to access the modem from the WAN (outside the network). I believe your issue was accessing it from within the LAN.
It certainly was, but I was unable to find a solution for the lost LAN access to the modem address. This solution did work to finally solve the problem. I am able to access the modem again, and that is huge when trying to run down issues with my ISP provider-Comcast!
If you know of a way to put LAN access back in place for the modem address, I'd love to use that...

It certainly was, but I was unable to find a solution for the lost LAN access to the modem address. This solution did work to finally solve the problem. I am able to access the modem again, and that is huge when trying to run down issues with my ISP provider-Comcast!
If you know of a way to put LAN access back in place for the modem address, I'd love to use that...

The workaround you've stated (from the thread where we talked about it a few months ago) is the only one that I've seen. It appears to be some sort of bug with a couple of the router models. In reality you can put any IP you want in the destination, as long as it isn't on your LAN, so you could use 1.1.1.1 as the destination. You shouldn't need to point it to your WAN IP or look it up on whatsmyip. Your WAN IP will change from time to time, but even if it does, it will still work since it is just forcing that traffic to the WAN regardless.

I see you posted the solution in several threads, but it is not applicable to this one as this thread is about accessing the CM from outside the LAN. Bumping a decade old thread to the top just clutters stuff up especially when it isn't relevant.

Yes, so many folks had inquired without any solution appearing, I wanted to offer it as needed...
I didn't find this answer on our forum, but on an ASUS web forum. I was so tickled that I shared!

you can setup a vpn server , connect it and enable acccess to lan that way you can access modem page pretend to be on your home network

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!