What's new

Accessing External eSATA HDD w/ TS-259

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maverickster

Occasional Visitor
This is a pretty simple question, so I'm assuming I'm just missing something.

I have a TS-259 Pro to which I have attached an external eSATA drive for backup purposes.

The internal drives (two identical WD RE3 1TB drives are set in RAID 0 and are formatted Ext4). The eSATA drive is formatted to NTFS (wanted to make access to it easy and speed's not an issues since the backup is performed in the middle of the night).

How do I "share" the external eSATA drive so that I can map a drive letter to it in Windows 7 (64 bit Pro, if it matters) and have access to it through the TS-259?

This happened automatically with my Buffalo Linkstation, so I'm assuming it's an easy thing to do, but I'm not seeing how.

A shared eSATA or USB drive should automatically appear as a browseable share. You might have to adjust access privileges, depending on your access desires.

Just use the Map Network Drive Windows functions, browse to the share and you're done.