What's new

Accessing Home Office Network Via Internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SwindonYid

New Around Here
Hi All,

my first post so sorry if it is a big ask?

I want to access my home office network and want some advice for the best way to do this.

I run a raid NAS, 3 laptop/pc's and no server, just need to know the best way to connect via the internet.

Apologies if this is a vague request.

Matt

:confused:

Your best bet is to get a router that can function as a VPN endpoint. There are several good ones reviewed at this site.

Tam

Agreed. Get such a router (eg. every Draytek router I know is able to do this), and then also get a free account at DynDNS.org or a comparable service. (unless you've got a fixed IP, which I'm pretty sure you don't). Once you set up the account with DynDNS, you simply fill in your account details in your routers' setup, and you're good to go.

Agreed. I do this using an open source router that supports VPN end-point function (m0n0wall.)

MIchael

What is important to remember here is that connecting any two networks essentially establishes a "trust" relationship between them. Ideally, therefore, both networks need to be secure. While your work network probably is reasonably secure can you say the same for your home network?

I would suggest that you consider a UTM appliance that will provide a good level of security for your home network. You may also wish consider limiting the access any VPN user may have, together with the us of strong passwords.

BTW – I am using a Netgear UTM5 for my home network, with a 1 year subscription for Web, Mail and Support, and this works wel. The Port Forwarding option of the SSL VPN configuration limits access to a defined network resources. The UTM10 has been reviewed here.

My recomendation before you purchase any equipment is to try out something like Logmein (www.logmein.com) which will allow you to vpn into a computer on your home network from anywhere... They have a free version for non business use. I find that it works quite well and i can check my office schedule from home or anywhere I have an internet connection.
-Belin

Yes, logmein.
Also, simply put VNC on a home computer and remotes. Free.
Can run secure via HTTP web browser or via an exe client you install on remotes.

Also, maybe use free server software for a home PC that allows passworded access via any browser to your files.
http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/?f=dl May be easier than NAS's FTP or media server.

But above all, for a business, be sure to know what you're doing when opening ports on your systems to the Internet. It's crazy out there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!