What's new

Accessing upstream modem/router mgmt through merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ccleeland

New Around Here
is there a feature in merlin either directly or as an add-on that would permit me to access the web-based mgmt portal of an upstream device?

I'm trying out a T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway to see if it can replace my hard line. The jury is still out on the raw service for me because they're upgrading the nearest tower to me, but presuming they get it upgraded and I can get consistent speeds similar to others in my area, I'll keep it. The problem is that right now the gateway's firmware is pretty simple, and it does not offer any kind of a bridge mode, only a router mode. Their wifi signal is actually pretty good as long as you're in range, but it's not nearly as good as my AC3100's coverage of my house.

With the ASUS set up as a router behind the TMO gateway, the only way to access the TMO mgmt page (which, though lame, does offer some important and useful info such as cell signals used, towers used, etc.) is for me to either leave the TMO wifi on or to physically connect via ethernet. I was thinking that it would be really convenient if the asus mgmt portal could at minimum proxy display a connection to the TMO portal.

Thoughts? Is there an existing (partial) solution? I'm thinking of something similar to the "Internet Speed" tab/pane that showed in a firmware in the last year, and leverages the OOKLA/speedtest framework.

While my entire career (35+ years) has been on software development of the sort required to do this work, I've never hacked on Merlin directly or an add-on, so while I'd be interested in scratching my own itch, I'd benefit from some guidance on dev process, submission process, etc.

If I read this correctly, both devices are in router mode, therefore you should be able to access the T-Mobile unit via it's IP address, no? That's how I access my isp equipment. No need to embed anything in the Asus router firmware, just access it from your browser.

If I read this correctly, both devices are in router mode, therefore you should be able to access the T-Mobile unit via it's IP address, no? That's how I access my isp equipment. No need to embed anything in the Asus router firmware, just access it from your browser.
I can confirm that access to my cable modem (my "Internet Gateway") is possible via browser by using IP address 192.168.100.1 :cool:

I'm not sure why I thought this wouldn't work, but y'all are correct. It didn't work for *me* because at the time, my laptop was connected into the office via VPN, and VPN grabs all traffic not on the same subnet as my local address. The phone app doesn't find the TMO router b/c it uses some sort of broadcast-based discovery (which doesn't get routed out).

All that said, it would be convenient, especially for upstream devices that offer some sort of management status interface, to have relevant info shown in a pane/tab on the "WAN" section. Not sure if that's doable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!