What's new

Actiontec routing to external IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

registering

New Around Here
[Moved from Articles]

I have a specific situation in which I need to do the following: route inbound connections on a specific port back to another external IP address. So in essence, I am looking to route (proxy?) between two external hosts.

I am using an Actiontec MI 424-WR and have full access to all routing functions through telnet.

My situation is that I have traffic coming in to my router that used to be port forwarded to a server on the LAN. That server has been moved to another public IP, but for a number of reasons, I need to clients to continue to communicate with the old IP address:port and route the connection over to the new address. There are no servers behind the actiontec anymore to act as a real proxy server, so I need to do it just with routing rules. I think this is more a routing question thatn an ActionTec question as it seems capable enough.

I have tried a number of different set-ups using port forwrading to a VLAN and then trying to set up routing rules back out to the external IP address but have had no luck. I have seen references to the fact that this router can indeed reroute traffic out the same interface, but am at a loss.

Other ideas I have considered:
- set up a VPN from the Actiontec to the remote server.
- Play with static routing rules

Any advice (or even explicit reasons why this wont work) are very welcome.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!