What's new

Ad Blocker Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks everyone for the answers. I installed both Diversion and Unbound, everything works fine. It even seems to me that the navigation and the router itself is faster.
Diversion and Unbound self-update like Skynet or do I need to update them via AMTM?
Don’t know if Unbound updates itself but Diversion does not.

After installing Unbound I tried to test my VPN's security. I use ExpressVPN. The IP address is safe, while I have DNS leaks, there the test tells me that I am connected to ExpressVPN but that I have DNS leaks. Didn't happen before, how can I fix it?

Or, since the DNS is now managed by Unbound, it is fair for the VPN manager to tell me 'be careful, the DNS are managed by third parties, could they be exposed?'

Or, since the DNS is now managed by Unbound, it is fair for the VPN manager to tell me 'be careful, the DNS are managed by third parties, could they be exposed?'
Did you check if the "leaked" DNS show your ISP WAN IP?
In unbound_manager advanced, you can select 3 (Advanced Tools), then use vpn command to force unbound to use your VPN connection. In this case, your VPN public IP will show up as your DNS IP.
Code:
vpn = BIND unbound to VPN {vpnid [debug]} | [disable | debug show] e.g. vpn 1

Did you check if the "leaked" DNS show your ISP WAN IP?
In unbound_manager advanced, you can select 3 (Advanced Tools), then use vpn command to force unbound to use your VPN connection. In this case, your VPN public IP will show up as your DNS IP.
Code:
vpn = BIND unbound to VPN {vpnid [debug]} | [disable | debug show] e.g. vpn 1
Yes, it shows my ISP's DNS. How can I solve?

Oh, it shows your ISP DNS and not your ISP WAN IP? What is your WAN DNS Settings and LAN DNS Filter settings? When unbound is running, your DNS should show your ISP WAN IP address.
As far as the DNS filter is concerned, it is active and set on 'router', the custom DNSs are that of Google 8.8.8.8 For the rest the DDNS is deactivated.

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I go to the ExpressVPN page and test the VPN operation. As for the IP address, no problem, the test shows me the IP address that ExpressVPN assigned me and the geographical location that I have chosen, everything ok. When instead I do the DNS exposure test, while before it told me that I was safe and that I used the expressvpn DNS, now it tells me that I am not protected and that I use the DNS of my telephone company

In the DNS exposure test it shows me my WAN IP, while before it showed me the expressVPN DNS
Oh ok. This happen because unbound is your DNS and it goes through your WAN interface. There is an option to force unbound to use your VPN interface. With this your VPN IP will show up as your DNS IP address.
To do this, ssh into your router.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# unbound_manager advanced

+======================================================================+
|  Welcome to the unbound Manager/Installation script (Asuswrt-Merlin) |
|                                                                      |
|                      Version 3.22 by Martineau                       |
|                                                                      |
+======================================================================+

unbound (pid 30771) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 02:54:42 version: 1.12.0 # Version=v1.12 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Sun Feb 28 14:50:05 MYT 2021)

i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')         l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                     v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
3  = Advanced Tools                                                     rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                                oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'

rs = Restart (or Start) unbound (use 'rs nocache' to flush cache)       s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://192.168.1.1:80/user2.asp)

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> 3

unbound (pid 30771) is running... uptime: 0 Days, 02:56:07 version: 1.12.0 # Version=v1.12 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Sun Feb 28 14:50:05 MYT 2021)

i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')         l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                     v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
x  = Stop unbound                                                       vb = Backup current (/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf) Configuration
                                                                        rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                                oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
sd = Show dnsmasq Statistics/Cache Size                                 s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://192.168.1.1:80/user2.asp)
                                                                        adblock = Install Ad Block [uninstall | update | track]
DisableFirefoxDoH = Disable Firefox DoH [yes | no]                      youtube = Install YouTube Ad Block [uninstall | update]
Stubby = Enable Stubby Integration                                      DoT = Enable DNS-over-TLS
                                                                        firewall = Enable DNS Firewall [disable | ?]
bind = BIND unbound to WAN [debug | disable | debug show]               vpn = BIND unbound to VPN {vpnid [debug]} | [disable | debug show] e.g. vpn 1

scribe = Enable scribe (syslog-ng) unbound logging                      ad = Analyse Diversion White/Block lists ([ file_name [type=adblock] ])
dnsmasq = Disable dnsmasq [disable | interfaces | nointerfaces]
dumpcache = [bootrest] (or Manually use restorecache after REBOOT)      ca = Cache Size Optimisation [ min | calc ]
                                                                        views = [? | uninstall] | {view_name [? | remove]} | {view_name [[type] domain_name[...] | IP_address[...]] [del]} ]
                                                                        safesearch = Enable Safe Search [disable | status | ? ] e.g. redirect google.com to forcesafesearch.google.com 

dig = {domain} [time] Show dig info e.g. dig asciiart.com               lookup = {domain} Show the name servers used for domain e.g. lookup asciiart.eu 
dnsinfo = {dns} Show DNS Server e.g. dnsinfo                            dnssec = {url} Show DNSSEC Validation Chain e.g. dnssec www.snbforums.com
links = Show list of external URL links

[Enter] Leave Advanced Tools Menu

e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> vpn 1

Choose option 3, then type "vpn 1", in case you are using VPN Client 1. This will force unbound to use your VPN connection.

Last edited:
In the meantime, thank you for the answers but it doesn't work. Once I have done what you indicated, I restarted the router and when it restarts it won't allow me to surf anymore. All blocked, no traffic. At that point I still configured unbound with the basic settings and it works but I have the DNS problem from before. At this point maybe I should uninstall unbound

In the meantime, thank you for the answers but it doesn't work. Once I have done what you indicated, I restarted the router and when it restarts it won't allow me to surf anymore. All blocked, no traffic. At that point I still configured unbound with the basic settings and it works but I have the DNS problem from before. At this point maybe I should uninstall unbound
Perhaps can have a look in this thread while waiting for other opinions