What's new

Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI Adapter: Largest HDD supported? Speed, BW, Current Cost?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crashnburn

Regular Contributor
Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI Adapter: Largest HDD supported? Speed, BW, Current Cost?

I think we have one of these lying around somewhere (7-8 years). If I do find it, what might the largest HDD that it might support? What would be the Bandwidth / Speed... and what might be its current cost?

I am wondering if it would be a good drive for Fast OS Startup.

For most SCSI devices, you're looking at 300Gb tops. SCSI makes up for it's small size in numbers, most RAID devices hold quite a few.

A 300Gb Scsi drive will set you back around $400 (That's $1.20ish for 1gb, compaired to a 500GB Sata for $65 at 8Gb/$1

The 2940 UW is only capable of data transfers of 40 MB/s. All SCSI devices are designed to be backwards compatible. You just have to get the appropriate mating cable to go between the controller and the drive.

Correction: Forgot you said 2940 Ultra which is only capable of data throughput of 20 MB/s.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!