What's new

Adaptive CAKE QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@dave14305 So seeing your comments from other threads recently. This project doesn't seem dead, and seems like you will bring it forward in the future. I hope that's the case, and look forward to trying it out. As it seems this will use Adaptive QoS/Trend Micro's system, mixed with Cake. From what I read so far, pretty much use Trend Micro's Adaptive QoS system to classify traffic, sorting that traffic through Cake QoS using diffserv4 categories.
That would be the idea. Every time I try to merge it with the existing FlexQoS, I get frustrated and switch back to OpenWrt (where I am now). I don’t know if it will ever see the light of day, but if I give up, I’ll push whatever code I have to a separate branch in case anyone else wants a crack at it.

What I’m quickly realizing is that they probably don’t belong together like I’ve been trying to do. There’s a lot of things I want to bring to CakeQoS-Merlin (graphs), and things I want to bring from CakeQoS-Merlin to FlexQoS (cake stats retrieval in JSON).

I don’t know if it will ever see the light of day, but if I give up, I’ll push whatever code I have to a separate branch in case anyone else wants a crack at it.
I haven't spent any additional time on this, and don't really anticipate picking it up again anytime soon, so I've pushed a cake-wip branch where I left off a couple weeks ago. This isn't something that folks should try to install. It's just meant to document where I left off in development in case someone wants to pick up the baton.

I seem to remember that the shell script worked but there were some bugs with the 5 minute check after startup. The GUI doesn't work, but I had coded a shell function to retrieve CAKE stats every 3 seconds as long as someone was logged into the router GUI.

I haven't spent any additional time on this, and don't really anticipate picking it up again anytime soon, so I've pushed a cake-wip branch where I left off a couple weeks ago. This isn't something that folks should try to install. It's just meant to document where I left off in development in case someone wants to pick up the baton.

I seem to remember that the shell script worked but there were some bugs with the 5 minute check after startup. The GUI doesn't work, but I had coded a shell function to retrieve CAKE stats every 3 seconds as long as someone was logged into the router GUI.
That's a shame.
I have been running this for several weeks and it has been absolutely rock solid and produces a fantastic result.
The only thing that isn't working is that I need to manually run the script when the router is rebooted, or else the regular Adaptive qdisc is used. Other than that, zero intervention required (and I haven't needed to manually reboot my router in quite some time!).

That's a shame.
I have been running this for several weeks and it has been absolutely rock solid and produces a fantastic result.
The only thing that isn't working is that I need to manually run the script when the router is rebooted, or else the regular Adaptive qdisc is used. Other than that, zero intervention required (and I haven't needed to manually reboot my router in quite some time!).
You can be adventurous and install FlexQoS, then download the script from the cake-wip branch.
Code:
curl -O /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FlexQoS/cake-wip/flexqos.sh
No guarantees but I think it will at least let you persist through a reboot.

You can be adventurous and install FlexQoS, then download the script from the cake-wip branch.
Code:
curl -O /jffs/addons/flexqos/flexqos.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dave14305/FlexQoS/cake-wip/flexqos.sh
No guarantees but I think it will at least let you persist through a reboot.
Any News On this? I would be willing to do some testing I just need to know how to uninstall it if I don't like it. I have 1200Mb/s DL by 40Mb/s Upload and a GT-AX11000 and right now I'm using flex QOS.

Some quick testing With no QoS I get 900Mbps Dl by 39Mbps Ul and a buffer bloat score of B. Flex QoS I'm getting around 600Mbps DL by 34Mbps UL and a A buffer bloat rating. With Cake QoS (both default and the QoS-CakeMerlin) I get speeds 250Mbps DL by 30Mpbs UL and grade still A but its cleaner FlexQoS. Be curious about what your thing gets me.

Some quick testing With no QoS I get 900Mbps Dl by 39Mbps Ul and a buffer bloat score of B. Flex QoS I'm getting around 600Mbps DL by 34Mbps UL and a A buffer bloat rating. With Cake QoS (both default and the QoS-CakeMerlin) I get speeds 250Mbps DL by 30Mpbs UL and grade still A but its cleaner FlexQoS. Be curious about what your thing gets me.

Hi John,

you are running out of CPU in both cases. If you are OK with the throughput you are getting with flex, then go with it.

Morris

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!