What's new

Adaptive QoS hosed on RT-AX88U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbsnb

Very Senior Member
No matter what I put for upload/download bandwidth on a new RT-AX88U on Merlin 384.18, it will peg the upload speed at my ISP's maximum speed and ping plots go to hell. The download appears to be limited appropriately based on what is set for the download bandwidth. Everything appears to be limited appropriately if I use traditional QoS, and the download bandwidth is limited with adaptive, just not upload. I don't have any QoS mods installed yet.

I was using Traditional QoS on RT-AC86U routers. My ISP is up to 300Mbps. Never had good results with Adaptive QoS.

I've used it for years on my RT-AC88U and never had this issue. It's like it just ignores the upload/download bandwidth settings completely. Tried installing FreshJR from amtm and no improvement.

I would use traditional QoS if I could figure out how to make it identify certain applications the way Adaptive does.

I would use traditional QoS if I could figure out how to make it identify certain applications the way Adaptive does.

Do you really need that? What is the ISP speed? With Traditional QoS you prioritize devices and services.

Do you really need that? What is the ISP speed? With Traditional QoS you prioritize devices and services.
It's helpful with the kids because they have a million devices and they're always using snapchat this, facetime that, instagram this and I'm trying to keep on top of them bringing down the whole network just because they're tik-tocking while streaming YouTube music and watching Netflix.

My ISP is 50/50.

Better for my speed but worse for my wallet. They're already killing me for $60 a month. I'm not paying $100 to get more. :(

Still, there's the problem that a brand new RT-AX88U with nothing set up except Merlin and Adaptive QoS doesn't work. I just finished trying a full factory reset and still the same issue. I haven't changed anything from default other than the QoS to adaptive and 40/40 limits.

I think it's a problem with Merlin's build, or else it's something fixed in the latest Asus firmware. I am on the 3.0.0.4.384.9566 stock firmware with a factory reset and Adaptive QoS performs as expected.

Bandwidth set at 48/48

314.19 beta 1 is fixed. Unfortunately I have to deploy this router tomorrow at a remote location where updating it in the next 6 months is unlikely. I hope the beta is good enough.

Did you try flex QoS instead of freshjr QoS script.

Welp. Now it's bricked. It was running 314.19 beta1 fine. I went into Administration -> System and changed the USB mode from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 and it never came back up from applying changes. Reset button has no effect even when holding for 120 seconds. It does enter recovery mode so I guess I'll try that whenever I can find Asus' recovery utility.

Did you try flex QoS instead of freshjr QoS script.
I was trying with stock QoS. I tried installing FreshJR and FlexQoS in 314.18 and neither changed the result.

Nope. It's bricked solid. Recovery utility just says "Router is not in recovery mode" even though the power light is slow blinking. That's unfortunate. We'll see if there's a fight getting a replacement.

Welp. Now it's bricked. It was running 314.19 beta1 fine. I went into Administration -> System and changed the USB mode from USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 and it never came back up from applying changes. Reset button has no effect even when holding for 120 seconds. It does enter recovery mode so I guess I'll try that whenever I can find Asus' recovery utility.
I'm assuming you tried a 30/30/30 reset?

I was able to recover it with Asus' hard reset procedure. Whew! I was sweating that one.

@Vexira there is no 30/30/30 reset on Asus routers.

@sbsnb do you have a link to that 'Asus hard reset procedure'?