What's new

Adaptive QOS - port assignments?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quisp65

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone know what port assignments Adaptive QOS looks at when prioritizing? Customize has "gaming, streaming, voip, web surfing, file transfering & others" listed.

The one I'm most specifically interested in is when I use my VPN it uses UDP on port 443 and this is also the same port HTTPS uses. Does port 443 get prioritized in the "web surfing" group or the "others" group?

Even though that is my main question I wouldn't mind understanding what port they prioritize for all of them. I think this would be helpful to many.

The DPI engine uses a variety of different criteras, including what's in the first few bytes of a new connection, the destination IP, etc... It's not just port-based, unlike Traditional QoS.

This complex signature system is not public.

thanks... maybe looking at "apps analysis" will give a little hint at least on how the router is looking at some of the data. I will just experiment later on this.

I have found that Adaptive QOS is pretty much useless with rules that probably haven't changed since 2005. Also take into account since more and more traffic today is encrypted they can't classify it by snooping. Just watch as a Steam or Xbox Live game download completely kills your connection because QOS thinks you're gaming... or how wireless speakers using Spotify Connect start stuttering because they aren't classified as music streaming.

You're better off using Traditional QOS and setting up rules for services you use yourself.

I have found that Adaptive QOS is pretty much useless with rules that probably haven't changed since 2005.

Trend Micro's DPI engine didn't even exist back in 2005...

The ruleset does get updated on a regular basis. You can even see the signature version on the Firmware Update page, they tend to update it every few weeks. Last update was a few days ago.

As for Spotify...

qos-analysis.png

The DPI engine uses a variety of different criteras, including what's in the first few bytes of a new connection, the destination IP, etc... It's not just port-based, unlike Traditional QoS.

This complex signature system is not public.
Since we can't tell if it helps specific applications, what do you recommend? Try it? Skip it? I put Merlin in a small office scenario that's switching to VoIP... so starting soon I'll have an extra 20 VoIP devices on the network. They seem to work fine in testing but no way to load test or know if they're being prioritized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watch as a Steam or Xbox Live game download completely kills your connection because QOS thinks you're gaming...

You're better off using Traditional QOS and setting up rules for services you use yourself.

Is this true about streaming/xbox live game download? If so, is there a work around with Adaptive QOS?

Since we can't tell if it helps specific applications, what do you recommend? Try it? Skip it? I put Merlin in a small office scenario that's switching to VoIP... so starting soon I'll have an extra 20 VoIP devices on the network. They seem to work fine in testing but no way to load test or know if they're being prioritized.

What I'd do is enable Adaptive QoS, but manually prioritize all the VoIP devices (drag and drop a priority on top of each of them).

If you want to see how well the DPI engine can detect SIP traffic, start a phone call, then check on the Adaptive QoS if traffic on that devices shows up as SIP.

What I'd do is enable Adaptive QoS, but manually prioritize all the VoIP devices (drag and drop a priority on top of each of them).

If you want to see how well the DPI engine can detect SIP traffic, start a phone call, then check on the Adaptive QoS if traffic on that devices shows up as SIP.

Do you manually set bandwidth or leave it auto?
After you select custom (highlights blue) and make suggested changes, does the highlight go away? Just want to make sure changes were made/saves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you manually set bandwidth or leave it auto?
After you select custom (highlights blue) and make suggested changes, does the highlight go away? Just want to make sure changes were made/saves

I set it manually, out of habit.

My Customize stays lit.

I set it manually, out of habit.

My Customize stays lit.

Odd, mine never stays lit. Any clue as to why? Using your latest FW.

When I do click custom, and select/apply, my screen changes to odd settings also , with queue discipline. Not sure if normal

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 8.06.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 8.06.58 PM.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 738
Odd, mine never stays lit. Any clue as to why? Using your latest FW.

When I do click custom, and select/apply, my screen changes to odd settings also , with queue discipline. Not sure if normal

I bet you're using Safari. Try Chrome instead for this task..

Smart man. Wonder why Safari was doing this...
Chrome showed it as it should.

I ran into the same bug on my Mac. It may have been fixed in 380.3xxx FW as part of "Fixed Safari slow response issue."

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!