What's new

Adblocking solutions for stock firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

leerees

Interested in seeing what solutions people are using to block ads on their non Merlin routers?

There's a lot of really old threads which seem to be focused on what is now diversion for Merlin. What about stock fw?

I'm aware of DNS providers offering ad block but I don't think I could give up the speed of Google's DNS, so a hosts file redirect solution would be great. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do but I'd appreciate it if someone could share their script.

Last edited:
Why not use a Raspberry Pi and PiHole?

Why not use a Raspberry Pi and PiHole?

I was thinking about going down this route. Then I discovered ad guard has a free DNS service that blocks ads so I just went with that. It's working really well and gets rid of video ads on our roku sticks.

They also have ad blocking software you can install on your router or a Raspberry Pi. This might be of interest to other stock firmware users.

Last edited:
Doesn't the stock firmware still advertise itself as a DNS server along with whatever you list?

If so, pihole isn't a great option as you may get spotty results.

Doesn't the stock firmware still advertise itself as a DNS server along with whatever you list?

If so, pihole isn't a great option as you may get spotty results.
Yes, this is the issue I had when I tried to run pihole. Hopefully a future firmware update will allow us to stop the Router from advertising itself as a DNS server when we manually enter a DNS server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!