What's new

Add emoji support in SSID?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've managed to add an emoji to my guest networks SSID on the ASUS router with the merlin firmware.
(some script hacking was needed via webdev tools on the browser)

However, now I get as below when I click on guest network.

upload_2018-5-12_9-36-19.png

It may be possible to do a bit more hacking on the web scripts to try get the old page back, or not.
Just wondering if anyone may have had this issue, and how they resolved it.
I could do a factory reset, but just would be good to know if another way is already taken.

Cheers!

I've managed to add an emoji to my guest networks SSID on the ASUS router with the merlin firmware.
(some script hacking was needed via webdev tools on the browser)

However, now I get as below when I click on guest network.

View attachment 12949

It may be possible to do a bit more hacking on the web scripts to try get the old page back, or not.
Just wondering if anyone may have had this issue, and how they resolved it.
I could do a factory reset, but just would be good to know if another way is already taken.

Cheers!

Code:
nvram set wl0.1_ssid="newSSID"
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

Change wl0 for wl1 if it's the 5 GHz band. The last number after the dot is the guest instance (so, wl0.0, wl0.1, wl0.2, etc...).

Stick to ASCII. Asuswrt does not support UTF8 SSIDs, in fact it's something that Asus/Broadcom only recently started working on adding on some specific models, so previous firmware versions definitely do NOT support any kind of UTF8 encoded characters.

Code:
nvram set wl0.1_ssid="newSSID"
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

Change wl0 for wl1 if it's the 5 GHz band. The last number after the dot is the guest instance (so, wl0.0, wl0.1, wl0.2, etc...).

Stick to ASCII. Asuswrt does not support UTF8 SSIDs, in fact it's something that Asus/Broadcom only recently started working on adding on some specific models, so previous firmware versions definitely do NOT support any kind of UTF8 encoded characters.

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I am still getting the Facebook WiFi guest network page.

Yes, and this can cause problems with WiFi clients...

Try this:

nvram unset fbwifi_enable
nvram commit
reboot

Or just reverse out the "web hacking" that you did.

utf8 support seems to be an official feature of some Asus firmwares added recently in 384.20648

Also seems to work fine if you set the nvram variable via putty to bypass the WebUI comparability check.

RIP PRINTERS RUNNING EMBEDDED CONTROLLERS

But if in this case, if the emoji containing SSID total byte length is within limits of an embedded device then the embedded device should be able parse the UTF-8 SSID as if it was ASCII and you will have random collection of ASCII characters that would still be connectable from the embedded device instead of the expected emoji.

( this forum does not support UTF-8 / Emoji Either / :( )

Last edited:
And people should pay attention to the warning that Asus added in their changelog: UTF8 is NOT supported by every clients, for instance Windows 7 and older versions don't support it properly.

People shouldn't make their life difficult just for the purpose of being cute, and stick to regular ASCII SSIDs.

People shouldn't make their life difficult just for the purpose of being cute, and stick to regular ASCII SSIDs.
Indeed. My first thought when I see this question is "Why! Are you 12 years old and trying to impress your school mates?:rolleyes:".

Ah yes. I can see the next issue. Friend over to house and could not connect to my network.
@ColinTaylor
I agree and could not have said it better.
--bill

Indeed. My first thought when I see this question is "Why! Are you 12 years old and trying to impress your school mates?:rolleyes:".

My thought was that if people start putting random language utf-8 inside passwords and then it could be a great source of memorable entropy.

Pick a Chinese symbol, a Korean symbol, a few emojis here and there, some Russian, top it off with some Japanese, dish in some ASCII and have fun bruteforcing that.

Works better on phones due to customizable keyboards. Kinda boned on PC unless they make an onscreen one since no one is going to remember various hex codes.

On the plus side the on screen twarts keyloggers.

Got it working again. Simple fix.
Just used the ASUS Router app on the phone to make the changes back.

I like to push systems and see how they respond. It's what I do.
If we all did what people told us to do then you will only have copycats.