What's new

Add Synology router to Verizon Actiontec router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.25.53 PM.jpg
Looking over the screen shots I saved, I may indeed have left this SRM setting at Disabled, which is almost surely the source of my problem.

Finally, I found
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.59.31 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.59.44 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.59.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.00.04 PM.jpg
these 4 windows, also part of the setup but which I never saw, on a site which walks one through the "normal" setup of a new Synology; i.e., one which does not involve an Actiontec router.

Looking at another thread on setting up your Synology router, I found this at Step 7 in the manual.
Question: Since my Verizon Actiontec has to remain as a gateway (correct terminology?), what should my choice be under Step 7?

7 Choose an Internet connection type:

• PPPoE: Choose this option if you have obtained PPPoE credentials from the ISP.

• Manual IP: Choose this option if you have obtained an available IP address for use.

• Auto IP: Choose this option if you rely on an ISP modem for automatic IP assignment.

Reporting back: problem solved.
With the Synology RT2600AC 's WAN port connected to the Actiontec M1424WR Rev I's ethernet port vi an ethernet cable...

I did a hard reset of the router, and this time, as I stepped through the install windows...
For Operation Mode I chose: Wireless AP
For Internet Connection I chose: Auto IP

I then used a free iPhone App called Fing to determine that the installation process had assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.13 to the RT2600AC.

Ergo, when I enter that IP number into my browser, I am connected to the SRM interface to the RT2600AC's settings.

Question #1: Should I start a new thread for this topic or not?

Well, I appear probably to have made a mess of setting up my RT2600 for the second time, because I realize that after setting up the RT2600, the settings made within the Actiontec router are still active presumably, because the Synology router is used as Access Point, all main router settings are done by the Actiontec router.

(And just so readers of this post have all the info they need: I have Verizon FiOS and the Actiontec is connected to the ONT via COAX cable and so must remain in the mix because I live on the third floor of a townhouse and pulling ethernet cable from the ONT which is on the ground level, attached to the back of the house would be an enormous amount of work).

Here’s what I did the second time I set up for the RT2600:

I connected an ethernet cable from an Actiontec ethernet port to the RT2600 WAN port.

As I stepped through the RT2600 setup windows, the first choice I made was to choose Wireless Router for Operation Mode and Wireless AP for External Access to SRM.

Question: I believe what I should be aiming for is to have the Actiontec be (and I don’t know the correct terminology to use here) the pass-through device, so that all the settings (firewall, assignmennt of IP addresses to my laptop, iPhone, iPad, wife’s laptop, etc.) are done by the newer and better RT2600 and not the Actiontec.

Does this make sense? Is this better/wiser than setting it up as I did?

I welcome any advice on this.

Question #1: Should I start a new thread for this topic or not?

Well, I appear probably to have made a mess of setting up my RT2600 for the second time, because I realize that after setting up the RT2600, the settings made within the Actiontec router are still active presumably, because the Synology router is used as Access Point, all main router settings are done by the Actiontec router.

(And just so readers of this post have all the info they need: I have Verizon FiOS and the Actiontec is connected to the ONT via COAX cable and so must remain in the mix because I live on the third floor of a townhouse and pulling ethernet cable from the ONT which is on the ground level, attached to the back of the house would be an enormous amount of work).

Here’s what I did the second time I set up for the RT2600:

I connected an ethernet cable from an Actiontec ethernet port to the RT2600 WAN port.

As I stepped through the RT2600 setup windows, the first choice I made was to choose Wireless Router for Operation Mode and Wireless AP for External Access to SRM.

Question: I believe what I should be aiming for is to have the Actiontec be (and I don’t know the correct terminology to use here) the pass-through device, so that all the settings (firewall, assignmennt of IP addresses to my laptop, iPhone, iPad, wife’s laptop, etc.) are done by the newer and better RT2600 and not the Actiontec.

Does this make sense? Is this better/wiser than setting it up as I did?

I welcome any advice on this.

Based on when I had FIOS in 2015 I would make the following comments suggestions:

1. The best setup will depend on if you also have TV and telephone service from FIOS.
2. To get support from FIOS is will be easier or requried that you are connected directly to the Actiontec router.
3. It was possible that you could have the ONT output via Ethernet vs. COAX.

Based on my experience the easiest solution is to double NAT your 2600 behind the Actiontec router.

1. Connect any LAN port on your Actiontec to the WAN port of your 2600.
2. Set the 2600 to accept the WAN IP automatically.
3. Set the LAN DHCP server to a different subnet than used on the Actiontec.
4. At your option you can turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec. If you leave it on be sure it is on a different channel than on the 2600.

Thanks so much for responding.

In answer to your queston, I do have telephone service via Verizon, but not TV service.

Googling “double NAT”, I found:

Double NAT is when you connect your router (the RT2600?) behind another router (the Actiontec?) creating two different private networks. For example, connecting your router behind a modem/router provided by your ISP.

Double NAT does not prevent your devices access to the internet but may cause problems with playing online games (we do not play games), opening a specific service port, connecting to a VPN tunnel, or visiting secure sites with SSL (I do occasionally use OpenVPN). Also, the devices connected to the first private network may not be able to communicate to the devices connected to the other private network.
You say to Connect any LAN port on your Actiontec to the WAN port of your 2600; that is how the RT2600 and the Actiontec are presently set up.

Let me read the RT2600 manual to learn how to set it to accept the WAN IP automatically.

The subnet mask on the Actiontec is set to 255.255.255.0; would you be kind enough to suggest the number I might use for a different subnet on the RT2600?

Lastly, and probably most important: I do not have to do a hard reset of the RT2600 and start all over, do I?

More info...

Reading the RT2600 manual I find:

When setting up the router for the first time, one of the choices is between PPoE, Manual IP, and Auto IP.

If I do a hard reset, would you confirm that I should choose Manual IP and then once the router is set up, I should then access the settings on the RT2600 and set the LAN DHCP to whatever DHCP number you suggest?

Yet more info...

Accessing my RT2600 settings, under Network Center > Internet > Connection, I see Primary Interface is now set as:

Connection Type: Auto

Set as default gateway: Enabled

My choices under Connection Type are: Auto, PPPoE, Manual, and DS-Lite.

My choices under default gateway are either Enabled or Disabled.

Does this indicate I could follow your instructions w/o having to do a hard reset of the router?

Here's what I meant to post earlier today:
Please advise how to get Internet back to FIOS Actiontec secondary router, just lost after ONT replaced by FIOS?
I've got FIOS internet, voice, Tv; Asus RT-AC68W primary and ethernet connected to ONT. Actiontec is secondary in bridge mode. After FIOS swapped in a new ONT (losing internet frequently, 8 year old ONT), now I cannot get internet on my secondary Actiontec MI424WR Rev C; without changing any settings. I've tried resetting Actiontec; disabled DHCP assignment so Asus does that. Released the DHCP, unplugged Actiontec. Then booted all routers/ONT/STBs. still no Internet to Actiontec, so am losing channel guide/VOD. I then tried same settings on a new Actiontec MI424WR Rev I model; still no internet. I did not have them on different subnets; thought it unnecessary. Actiontec given static IP of 192,168.1.2; Asus assigns IP in range 192.168.1.201 through 192.168.1.254. Actiontec shows up on my Asus Network Map as connected. I never put it on another subnet past 6 years; is that what I need to do? thanks!

As a FIOS customer for 12 years, I have used a separate router plugged into the MI424WR Rev I, occasionally. No problems. But if you or your occupants are heavy gamers, or use certain VOIP(voice ) systems, there could be problems from both routers doing NAT services, a condition called 'double nat.' Hopefully this won't affect your situation. Also, you usually want to "turn DHCP off" on the secondary(synology in your case) router.

It's difficult to get rid of the fios router for several reasons. Most installs in houses use the coax port, rather than the lan port on the ONT(the white or black box where the fiber optic comes in from the street). The fios router must be connected to your coax system in order to do your TV menus & guides correctly.

If you don't have fios tv, and your install is using the lan port of the ONT, then you can use any old router. No problem. Have for years. But, first you must go into the annoying menus of the fios router and press the 'release dhcp' button,' then pull the fios router power cord. Or call verizon tech. A new router will automatically 'renew' the dhcp lease. Just in case you get rid of the fios router.

Your fios router is old tech, verizon can use it to snoop on you(but they don't), but remarkably trouble free. It's not too secure, but as you said, you will be relying on the synology for security. Should go well.

Last edited:
Thanks. Have been up and running, trouble free, for almost two months now and so far, no problems.
good work! I just love it when these things work.