What's new

Adding Aimesh node seems doesn't help to extend the primary router wifi signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Equinox

Occasional Visitor
To improve the wifi coverage, I added my second router AC3100 as an aiMesh node. My primary router is AX86U. Both routers are ethernet cable connected. I assume that the wifi signal (2.4G & 5G) on my primary router should be extended by the node (AC3100). However, even if I am close to AC3100, the signal of 5G strength is still weak in the garage. Before adding the node, the wifi signal of the second router is strong in the garage.

Did I miss something in the setup?
Thanks

What firmware is installed on each router? How did you try adding the node? Why do you think you need to improve the WiFi coverage when "the wifi signal of the second router is strong in the garage"?

How far apart are the routers? How big is your intended coverage area in SqFt?

Is the main/node on the same level?

Both AX86U and AC3100 are using 386.5_2. I added the node from the AX86U AiMesh menu, "Add AiMesh Node".

I suppose that the AiMesh node could extend the primary wifi signal seamlessly. That is the reason I am starting using AiMesh. The primary router is located on the second floor and the node is in the basement. Both routers are connected with an ethernet cable. The second router wifi signal can cover the garage (attached to the house) with a strong signal if it uses it as AP with its own SSID. I prefer to use the SSID on the primary router, no need to switch back and forth.

Thanks

Last edited:
It's not a great implementation, it will hang on to the router it's connected to until the signal drops to nearly nothing before connecting to the stronger node in my experience so far. Some people have managed to tweak the switchover settings to improve the balance between switching too much and not switching early enough as it tends to briefly disconnect you during the switch between nodes it's not great if it keeps swapping back and forth.

I thought that AIMesh would be smart enough to connect to the strongest signal source automatically. If not, then there is no difference to use the second router as an independent router with the same SSID.

I thought that AIMesh would be smart enough to connect to the strongest signal source automatically. If not, then there is no difference to use the second router as an independent router with the same SSID.
No, AiMesh doesn't switch your device to the strongest signal. It only switches when the current connection's signal strength goes below the Roaming Assistant threshold. AFA whether AiMesh is better than a plain old AP, the improvement in roaming hand-off is marginal. Plus with AiMesh you give up lots of fine-tuning control as a trade-off for simplified management.

BTW, if you want to go with the second router as an AP, you can still use the same SSID(s) as the main router. However Guest SSIDs are not isolated from the LAN clients on the AP.

Last edited: