What's new

Adding RT-AX86U pro or AX11000 pro to existing setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Plahy

New Around Here
Hi,
At the moment, my NBN modem is connected to TP-LINK VR 2800 (located in the basement), which handles all network traffic, including WIFI.
I am planning to add RT-AX86U pro or AX11000 pro to the existing setup by connecting ASUS to the network port in the living room
on the ground level. I would like to extend the WIFI range with ASUS in the living room as I am not getting a strong enough signal from
the router in the basement. Also, I have read that if I put ASUS in AP mode the Guest network will be available only on
the primary router. Another thing is Ai Mesh, which I believe is only possible between two ASUS products; is that correct?

I appreciate any support as I am not that familiar with networking but willing to learn.
Thank you.

I would like to extend the WIFI

You only need an Access Point with PoE injector set to the same SSIDs* as your main router. Your mobile devices will roam between the two when they come closer to the stronger Wi-Fi signal. Talking about AC Wave 2 class main router - one TP-Link EAP245 V3 (also AC Wave 2 class) is around $80-100. It even comes with the PoE injector and ready to go. Why you need to spend hundreds of dollars for a second expensive Router just to extend the Wi-Fi? And you have a wire ready in place.

1707700158680.png

This Access Point has own UI** and even supports some mobile App configuration. Configuration is easy enough for non-tech people.

* - same network name(s) and password(s)
** - user interface, similar to home routers configuration pages

Another thing is Ai Mesh

Only between Asus devices with AiMesh support. Basically the same Router + Access Point thing like above, but with more fancy marketing name.

Last edited:
You only need an Access Point with PoE injector set to the same SSIDs* as your main router. Your mobile devices will roam between the two when they come closer to the stronger Wi-Fi signal. Talking about AC Wave 2 class main router - one TP-Link EAP245 V3 (also AC Wave 2 class) is around $80-100. It even comes with the PoE injector and ready to go. Why you need to spend hundreds of dollars for a second expensive Router just to extend the Wi-Fi? And you have a wire ready in place.

View attachment 56410

This Access Point has own UI** and even supports some mobile App configuration. Configuration is easy enough for non-tech people.

* - same network name(s) and password(s)
** - user interface, similar to home routers configuration pages

Only between Asus devices with AiMesh support. Basically the same Router + Access Point thing like above, but with more fancy marketing name.
Thank you for your advice. It makes sense to get only that EAP. Would AP cover a two-storey house with a strong enough WIFI signal? I was looking at the better routers because I am in rental and thought if I am to buy something now, to get something future-proof, if that makes sense. Most of the WIFI devices I am using use WIFI6.
I also understand that the wired connections are more reliable. In the living room, I have three devices that need an internet connection, so the ASUS router could also act as a switch. Or should I get a cheap switch and plug it in the wall port and everything into that switch, including the AP you have suggested? Altogether, there are four devices that are using WIFI.
Also, the security of the network is important, and I read that ASUS have VLAN support and some other features that can be used to secure the
network.

Thank you for responding.

Would AP cover a two-storey house with a strong enough WIFI signal?

There is no answer to this question. Wi-Fi coverage depends on multiple environmental factors.

I was looking at the better routers because I am in rental and thought if I am to buy something now, to get something future-proof, if that makes sense.

There is no much futureproofing with home routers. When you move you don't know what you are going to need in the new place anyway.

I have three devices that need an internet connection, so I was thinking that the ASUS router could act as a switch as well.

Home AIO router as Access Point and Switch starts making more sense. If you want to treat yourself with a new toy and the budget allows - most popular models around are RT-AX86U Pro, RT-AX88U Pro, GT-AX6000. Spider looking tri-band models - not so much. Not everyone needs one and more expensive.

Last edited:
Also, the security of the network is important, and I read that ASUS have VLAN support and some other features

None of it is available in Access Point mode. There is no routing there. An Access Point works as wired-to-wireless bridge.

In a separate post because it's quite important to know what to expect. No security, no VPN, no QoS, no gaming, etc. features in AP Mode.

Last edited:
You only need an Access Point with PoE injector set to the same SSIDs* as your main router. Your mobile devices will roam between the two when they come closer to the stronger Wi-Fi signal.

one TP-Link EAP245 V3 (also AC Wave 2 class) is around $80-100. It even comes with the PoE injector and ready to go. Why you need to spend hundreds of dollars for a second expensive Router just to extend the Wi-Fi? And you have a wire ready in place.

Seamless Roaming is only supported under the use of Omada Controllers, and requires that clients need to support 802.11k/v and may require additional set up. Performance may vary depending on the client device.

W/O an Omada controller, you have to check if in the EAP245 it's possible to set the same local SSID as your main router.

Last edited:
Seamless Roaming

The roaming will be worse than all Omada APs with network controller, but will still work okay.

you have to check if in the EAP245 it's possible to set the same local SSID as your main router.

It is possible, of course. The AP has own UI and settings. The SSIDs can be set to whatever is needed.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!