Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

adding Smart TV.. WiFi to Guest Network configuration

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by db9, Oct 12, 2017.

1. db9

db9 Occasional Visitor

I have added a Smart TV (Samsung) to my multitude of devices and I'll use WiFI to connect (I don't have a ethernet cable to this particular room)
    My current setup is as follows..
    modem in bridge mode connected to Asus 16 running Merlin (this is my DHCP server - WiFi is turned off) connected as a AP is an Archer C7 - 2.4 & 5 WiFi with Guest WiFi turned off, DHCP is also turned off.

I had thought I could turn the AP guest network on and have it isolated from my LAN. But by doing so the TV does not get a IP address from the 'main' router (Asus which is the DHCP server). To get an IP I need to let the TV see the LAN.
    What would be the recommendation for a LAN layout that has my NAS & workstation (ethernet) - laptop(s) on WiFi (with access to the NAS for backups and file access ) BUT with the TV isolated (via WiFi)?
    Could I create 2 VLAN's (virtual) with the Asus (Merlin) one secure for the NAS etc and a second isolated with a AP connected?

Thanks for reading