What's new

Additional AP/Switch to use with AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

returntrip

Occasional Visitor
Looking for suggestions on what device should I buy to extend my network coverage. I want something that works well with an AC87U and would act as an AP and Ethernet switch. I have a TP-link Archer D7 at the moment (disabled DHCP) but it is freezing often.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looking for suggestions on what device should I buy to extend my network coverage. I want something that works well with an AC87U and would act as an AP and Ethernet switch. I have a TP-link Archer D7 at the moment (disabled DHCP) but it is freezing often.

I would think that any ASUS router that can be configured as an access point (and I have not heard of one that can't) would be fine. Select by your speed and range needs--the "AC" models are faster than the "N" models if your clients support 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and the models with external antenna are likely to have better range. The current sweet spot for performance vs. cost is the AC68/AC1900 series.

I would think that any ASUS router that can be configured as an access point (and I have not heard of one that can't) would be fine. Select by your speed and range needs--the "AC" models are faster than the "N" models if your clients support 802.11ac Wi-Fi, and the models with external antenna are likely to have better range. The current sweet spot for performance vs. cost is the AC68/AC1900 series.
Thanks for the suggestion! I guess it would be silly to get another AC87U to set as AP or an RT-AC3200 to set as router and demote my current AC87U to AP?!?

Thanks for the suggestion! I guess it would be silly to get another AC87U to set as AP or an RT-AC3200 to set as router and demote my current AC87U to AP?!?

That depends on the features you want. You don't even really need 802.11ac unless you know that your clients support it. We have a couple of dozen households around St. Louis happily running with RT-N66U routers and they are quite pleased.

That depends on the features you want. You don't even really need 802.11ac unless you know that your clients support it. We have a couple of dozen households around St. Louis happily running with RT-N66U routers and they are quite pleased.
Many of my devices support AC. I used to own an AC66U which I think was the most stable router I had ever owned. I like the AC87U but it is nowhere near as stable as the AC66U was.

One idea was to get an upgrade over the AC87U but, if my short research is correct, I would need to buy an AC88U, which is quite expensive. At the end an AC68U is probably more than enough for what I need to do.

There is also the ASUS RT-AC66U B1 that has the same HW as the RT-68U and are cheaper. (its cheaper here in Sweden)

There is also the ASUS RT-AC66U B1 that has the same HW as the RT-68U and are cheaper. (its cheaper here in Sweden)
Can you pass me the link to the cheap AC66U-B1 please? I can see the standard AC66U for about 900 sek, there is an AC68U for 1149 sek on Webhallen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!