What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuardHome New Release's 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My CPU is at 98-99% all the time after recent AgH upgrade. It is causing issues Iike not being able to navigate around in the UI & ssh has become very very slow too. I know my router is not very powerful but it has been running fine till now. Do I have any options apart from removing AgH or buying a more powerful router?
External AGH on dedicated hardware

Even something like this would be more than sufficient:

HP Prodesk 600 G2 Micro Computer Mini Tower PC (Intel Quad Core i3-6100T, 8GB DDR4 Ram, 256GB SSD, VGA, USB 3.0, USB-C) Win 10 Pro (Renewed) https://a.co/d/guAUvCx

External AGH on dedicated hardware

Even something like this would be more than sufficient:

HP Prodesk 600 G2 Micro Computer Mini Tower PC (Intel Quad Core i3-6100T, 8GB DDR4 Ram, 256GB SSD, VGA, USB 3.0, USB-C) Win 10 Pro (Renewed) https://a.co/d/guAUvCx
Tried that, managed to install it on Pi inside a docker container but unable to use the unbound, prefer using unbound as a fallback. Current set up is AgH has unbound & 9.9.9.9 as upstream, so even if AgH stops for whatever reason, nothing breaks as unbound is also running.
Ideally would like to install unbound & AgH in docker but even if I can manage to leave unbound on router & move AgH to Pi, I'll be happy. Just not sure which address to put in to user unbound as upstream for unbound running on router & AgH on Pi in docker.

My CPU is at 98-99% all the time after recent AgH upgrade. It is causing issues Iike not being able to navigate around in the UI & ssh has become very very slow too. I know my router is not very powerful but it has been running fine till now. Do I have any options apart from removing AgH or buying a more powerful router?
Choose smaller blocklists or less filters. Make sure you are using an adequate swap file and are using the most up-to-date version. Make sure you are using an efficient storage such as an SSD or an external HD instead of a thumb drive. Try to only use adguardhome by itself instead of adguardhome and unbound combo.

I am at 97% with no AdGuardHome installed with the below stats in the image:

1687332271837.png

How are you so sure it is AdGuardHome causing your issue and not something else you have installed or enabled on the router?

Last edited:
Tried that, managed to install it on Pi inside a docker container but unable to use the unbound, prefer using unbound as a fallback. Current set up is AgH has unbound & 9.9.9.9 as upstream, so even if AgH stops for whatever reason, nothing breaks as unbound is also running.
Ideally would like to install unbound & AgH in docker but even if I can manage to leave unbound on router & move AgH to Pi, I'll be happy. Just not sure which address to put in to user unbound as upstream for unbound running on router & AgH on Pi in docker.
For what its worth, I'd skip docker and configure everything manually. I have three RPI running pihole plus self compiled unbound instance.

I’ve only got one Pi running openmediavault & a bunch of self hosted apps in docker like OwnCloud. Can I install AdGuard & unbound manually on that Pi? Is there a guide? There’s few for Pi hole plus unbound but I can’t find one for AgH plus unbound on Pi.

Choose smaller blocklists or less filters. Make sure you are using an adequate swap file and are using the most up-to-date version. Make sure you are using an efficient storage such as an SSD or an external HD instead of a thumb drive. Try to only use adguardhome by itself instead of adguardhome and unbound combo.

I am at 97% with no AdGuardHome installed with the below stats in the image:

View attachment 51154
How are you so sure it is AdGuardHome causing your issue and not something else you have installed or enabled on the router?
From this, plus when I stop AgH service CPU goes back to normal.
1687333502623.png

From this, plus when I stop AgH service CPU goes back to normal.
View attachment 51159
Have you tried without unbound? If adguardhome stops working you are dead in the water because all your requests are first sent to adguardhome and then to unbound. Basically all your requests that don't get blocked by adguardhome are getting serviced twice on the router since adguardhome is forwarding those requests to your local unbound instance which is also taking up needed CPU and RAM.

Last edited:
I would recommend running this on a cleanly setup pi that is not running openmediavault.
Thanks. got it going but how do I display hostnames instead of IPs without adding all of them in AdGuardHome. When I was running on the router hostnames were showing. Router IP shows as top client & then other device randomly as well. Also, DNS queries randomly don't work sometimes. I've put the DNS server here -
1687410087160.png

1687410262717.png

Last edited:
Have you tried without unbound? If adguardhome stops working you are dead in the water because all your requests are first sent to adguardhome and then to unbound. Basically all your requests that don't get blocked by adguardhome are getting serviced twice on the router since adguardhome is forwarding those requests to your local unbound instance which is also taking up needed CPU and RAM.
That's not correct in my case. I can stop adguardhome on router & all queries then go directly to unbound. DNS queries keep working. How is that happening?

That's not correct in my case. I can stop adguardhome on router & all queries then go directly to unbound. DNS queries keep working. How is that happening?
Because when you physically stop adguardhome dnsmasq switches to being the dns service sending the requests to unbound.

Last edited:
Hey there. I have a question regarding the removing of cache in the ram. Diversion does this everytime the blocklist updates twice a week or once a week. Does Adguard Home have this feature where in it also clears memory cache every time the blocklist updates or it's on a cron job to clear ram every xxx days?

Thanks.

As a side note, my tests were done on an RT-AX88U-PRO and I had a fairly reasonable size swap file configured (2gb+) . I will add that to the initial post. However, I do not recommend just anyone to load these lists. I did this with only AdGuardHome and Skynet running my own curated lists, No additional user scripts were installed from AMTM.

It may be better for you to use these conservative filter lists.

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.0.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.1.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.2.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.3.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.4.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.5.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.6.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.7.filter
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jumpsmm7/GeneratedAdblock/master/GeneratedDomainsConservative.8.filter

or be highly selective in the default lists you choose in AdGuardHome. Many of the list have overlapping rules which creates redundancy in list loading and causes additional CPU cycles wasted in processing and loading those lists.
Hi

only the below worked, the rest were giving an error (see red pic)
Also adding these two and unticking the default also caused my CPU cores to jump 87% and 90% and my internet became unresponsive so I had to remove the script again.
Whilst I had those 2 running it wasn't blocking 100% of ads also.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    272.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 56
Hi

only the below worked, the rest were giving an error (see red pic)
Also adding these two and unticking the default also caused my CPU cores to jump 87% and 90% and my internet became unresponsive so I had to remove the script again.
Whilst I had those 2 running it wasn't blocking 100% of ads also.
What other addon scripts are you running as well? My tests were done with just adguardhome and skynet installed. I also had a swap file configured. What size swap file or swap partition are you using? what size and type of Storage are you using (e.g. SSD, HD, or Flash drive)?

Last edited:
Hey there. I have a question regarding the removing of cache in the ram. Diversion does this everytime the blocklist updates twice a week or once a week. Does Adguard Home have this feature where in it also clears memory cache every time the blocklist updates or it's on a cron job to clear ram every xxx days?

Thanks.
That is an actual question that might be better answered by the AdGuardHome developers. Unlike Diversion which is 100 percent coded and custom tailored by @thelonelycoder , AdGuardHome is a single GO binary file where all its features are designed and controlled by the users personal selections in the Adguardhome WebUI. As far as clearing the "cache", I am not sure the dynamics behind what gets changed whenever the blocklists do their automated updates. The only thing that is user configurable in this scenario is the frequency users would like their lists to be update. This is configured in the AdGuardHome webui.

What other addon scripts are you running as well? My tests were done with just adguardhome and skynet installed. I also had a swap file configured. What size swap file or swap partition are you using? what size and type of Storage are you using (e.g. SSD, HD, or Flash drive)?
2gb swap file
no other scripts
1tb gen 3 nvme connected via usb 3.1 in an enclosure ext4 format using amtm default recommendations when formating so no partitions iirc.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    38.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    38.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot (40).png
    Screenshot (40).png
    185.4 KB · Views: 54
That is an actual question that might be better answered by the AdGuardHome developers. Unlike Diversion which is 100 percent coded and custom tailored by @thelonelycoder , AdGuardHome is a single GO binary file where all its features are designed and controlled by the users personal selections in the Adguardhome WebUI. As far as clearing the "cache", I am not sure the dynamics behind what gets changed whenever the blocklists do their automated updates. The only thing that is user configurable in this scenario is the frequency users would like their lists to be update. This is configured in the AdGuardHome webui.
Thank you for this! Well I hope using a swap file does not make my router max out my ram usage and make it unusable. Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!