What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuardHome New Release's 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Won't start after installing. Below is from the terminal after following manual steps to uninstall & reboot.
Followed these steps to uninstall-
Manually remove lines mentioning AdGuardHome from these scripts with a terminal editor such as nano or vi:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/init-start
/jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf
/jffs/scripts/services-stop
/jffs/scripts/service-event-end
To uninstall files and directories run the below straight in the ssh terminal command line:
Code:
rm -rf "/opt/etc/AdGuardHome" "/opt/etc/init.d/S99AdGuardHome" "/opt/etc/init.d/rc.func.AdGuardHome" "/opt/sbin/AdGuardHome" "/opt/bin/bcrypt-tool" "/jffs/addons/AdGuardHome.d" "/opt/var/log/AdGuardHome.log"
Code:
 Info:  Detected RT-AC68U router.
 Info:  Detected Linux platform.
 Info:  Detected ARMv7 architecture.
 Info:  JFFS custom scripts and configs are already enabled.
 Info:  DNS Environment is Ready.
 Info:  Choose what you want to do:
  1) Install/Update AdGuardHome
  2) Uninstall
  r) Restore
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-2/r/q]: 1
 Info:  This operation will install AdGuardHome and related files (<6MB)
 Info:  to ENTWARE, no other data will be changed.
 Info:  Also some start scripts will be installed/modified as required.
 =>  Do you want to install AdGuardHome to ENTWARE? [y/n]: y
 Info:  Backup is detected.
 =>  Do you want Restore instead? [y/n]: n
 Info:  Continuing without restoring from backup!
 Info:  Downloading installer
 Info:  Choose which build of AdGuardHome to install:
  1) Release
  2) Beta
  3) Edge
 =>  Select your mode, [1-3]: 1
 Info:  Downloading AdGuardHome_linux_armv5.tar.gz
 Info:  Downloading AdGuardHome.sh
 Info:  Downloading S99AdGuardHome
 Info:  Downloading rc.func.AdGuardHome
 Info:  Configure init-start file
 Info:  Configure services-stop file
 Info:  Configure dnsmasq.postconf file
 Info:  Configure service-event-end file
 Info:  Before setting up AdGuardHome, please choose your right timezone!
 Info:  Downloading tzdata-2021e-1-arm.pkg.tar.bz2
 Info:  Available timezones/locations
 =>  Select your timezone/location, [1-595]: 529
 Info:  Auckland selected
 Info:  Configuring AdGuardHome...
 =>  Do you want to redirect all DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: y
 Info:  You can choose to keep any custom dnsfilter values by only redirect non-custom traffic or send all traffic through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to redirect only NON-CUSTOM DNS resolutions on your network through to AdGuardHome? [y/n]: n
 Info:  DNS is set to redirect All DNS resolutions through to AdGuardHome.
 =>  Do you want to run AdGuardHome as a local caching DNS service which includes router traffic? [y/n]: n
 Info:  Requesting entries for AdGuardHome initial configuration...
 Info:  Set the Username and Password which will be encrypted to the yaml file.
 =>  Please enter AdGuardHome username: quebec
 =>  Please enter AdGuardHome password:
 =>  Please reenter AdGuardHome password:
 Info:  Set the DNS server(s) for initializing AdGuardHome
 Info:  and router services (e.g. ntp) at boot
 =>  Default is 9.9.9.9:
 =>  2nd Default is 8.8.8.8:
 Info:  Writing AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Checking AdGuardHome configuration...
 Info:  Starting AdGuardHome...
 Checking AdGuardHome...              dead.
Could be adguardhome just changed something again in their .yaml format. I will have to look at it when I am home from work later.

In the meantime, you could try using either the beta or edge versions incase they fixed something but haven't had time to release it yet. It looks like the latest release version is from last week.

Last edited:
Could be adguardhome just changed something again in their .yaml format. I will have to look at it when I am home from work later.

In the meantime, you could try using either the beta or edge versions incase they fixed something but haven't had time to release it yet. It looks like the latest release version is from last week.
Manage to get it going after a few tries using the release version but for some reason now I see client IPs instead of client names except 1 wired client. Haven't changed any setting on router.
1690889275309.png

Manage to get it going after a few tries using the release version but for some reason now I see client IPs instead of client names except 1 wired client. Haven't changed any setting on router.
View attachment 52081
I recently installed the stable version and I'll I saw was the client IPs initially. I went into the settings and manually added the name to all my clients. I wasn't aware it added the names automatically.

Hello, when I try to install via amtm I always see an error

*** Error: Unable to detect the Internet!

Any clues as to that I might need to change for this to work? Thanks!

Code:
 Info:  Detected RT-AX86U_Pro router.
 Info:  Detected ARMv8 architecture.

2) Uninstall
  q) Quit
 =>  Please enter the number that designates your selection:, [1-2/q]: 1
 *** Error:  Unable to detect the Internet!

S

Code:

2) Uninstall
  q) Quit
something is wrong, mine keeps breaking after reboot.

Last edited:
I recently installed the stable version and I'll I saw was the client IPs initially. I went into the settings and manually added the name to all my clients. I wasn't aware it added the names automatically.

Do you have `Private Wi-Fi address` disabled on all your Apple devices?

Code:

2) Uninstall
  q) Quit
what happens when you,

Code:
ping 1.1.1.1 -c1 -W2

in your SSH terminal. What is the output?

Also, what is the output of

Code:
nslookup google.com

S

omething is wrong, mine keeps breaking after reboot.
I have the same problem.. The only solution I have found is to hard reboot the router. Must be memory related. And for some reason, I cannot turn on DNS Privacy either.

1690945035026.png

It keeps getting disabled. Weird.

what happens when you,

Code:
ping 1.1.1.1 -c1 -W2

in your SSH terminal. What is the output?

Also, what is the output of

Code:
nslookup google.com
Router shell defintely has internet access.

ping 1.1.1.1 -c1 -W2
PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=0 ttl=59 time=8.809 ms

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 8.809/8.809/8.809 ms

nslookup google.com
Server: 61.9.211.1
Address 1: xxxx.xxx.xxx

Name: google.com
Address 1: 142.250.66.206 syd09s23-in-f14.1e100.net
Address 2: 2404:6800:4006:812::200e syd15s17-in-x0e.1e100.net

I have diversion installed (disabled) alongsdie skynet, do I need to uninstall either of these first?

Tried beta version, seems ok so far, client names are also resolving. Will see how it goes.

Do you have `Private Wi-Fi address` disabled on all your Apple devices?
I actually don't have any apple devices!

You could try disabling skynet temporarily. I do not recommend having diversion running along side adguardhome, but i am not sure whether having it installed (and disabled) would cause this problem.
Seems like skynet is the culprit, perhaps the amtm script could detect if it is installed and ask the user to disable before installing adguard. Thanks for the tip.

Seems like skynet is the culprit, perhaps the amtm script could detect if it is installed and ask the user to disable before installing adguard. Thanks for the tip.
Yea I wouldn't rule this out as happening with everyone's skynet. It seems like it was a circumstantial situation you experienced. (Possibly caused from how you have your skynet settings configured, or it could just be an innocent occurence.) Skynet does not block this universally the same for everyone, so I cannot say skynet will cause this problem with everyone. Once I see it happening quite frequently with more than one person, I will get with @Adamm to submit a pull request to skynet after conducting an investigation on what major CDN (content delivery network) is being blocked. Most likely in this scenario your github CDN access was being blocked. My suggestion is to make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of skynet because there have been several improvements to it. Also, make sure you have CDN whitelisting enabled inside the settings.

Last edited:
Yea I wouldn't rule this out as happening with everyone's skynet. It seems like it was a circumstantial situation you experienced. (Possibly caused from how you have your skynet settings configured, or it could just be an innocent occurence.) Skynet does not block this universally the same for everyone, so I cannot say skynet will cause this problem with everyone. Once I see it happening quite frequently with more than one person, I will get with @Adamm to submit a pull request to skynet after conducting an investigation on what major CDN (content delivery network) is being blocked. Most likely in this scenario your github CDN access was being blocked. My suggestion is to make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of skynet because there have been several improvements to it. Also, make sure you have CDN whitelisting enabled inside the settings.
Thanks for the support, appreciate it 🙏

Tried beta version, seems ok so far, client names are also resolving. Will see how it goes.
Still breaks sometimes on reboot & then another reboot fixes it. What could be the issue? Tried enabling logs but it enables queries!
Am I doing it right? Doing below enables dns queries in syslog.
Code:
log:
  file: /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome.log
  max_backups: 0
  max_size: 100
  max_age: 3
  compress: false
  local_time: false
  verbose: true

Still breaks sometimes on reboot & then another reboot fixes it. What could be the issue? Tried enabling logs but it enables queries!
Am I doing it right? Doing below enables dns queries in syslog.
Code:
log:
  file: /opt/etc/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome.log
  max_backups: 0
  max_size: 100
  max_age: 3
  compress: false
  local_time: false
  verbose: true
It could be completely adguardhome unrelated. One common theme is that adguardhome requires your usb storage to be mounted (and entware to be present) for adguardhome to start. If your usb is having troubles mounting, or on occasion your router is not fully completely rebooting, a couple of things could be happening that are adguardhome unrelated but would prevent adguardhome from starting (or even installing properly):
1) Your router might not be fully rebooting each time you try to reboot due to hung processes. (E.g storage never fully unmounts)
2) Your storage might not be successfully mount upon completion of each reboot. (e.g corruption on flash storage, or storage is not marked as clean recommendation is to run disk check on storage between reboots.)

These are the only conclusions I could come up with. All of which are not adguardhome related, but could both prevent adguardhome from starting and/or installing properly between reboots. Adguardhome depends on both a dedicated and reliable entware repository (and flash storage). When this is not achieved between reboots, adguardhome will not properly start (or install). While not directly an adguardhome problem, it easily creates an issue with trying to reliably run adguardhome between reboots.

Last edited:
It could be completely adguardhome unrelated. One common theme is that adguardhome requires your usb storage to be mounted (and entware to be present) for adguardhome to start. If your usb is having troubles mounting, or on occasion your router is not fully completely rebooting, a couple of things could be happening that are adguardhome unrelated but would prevent adguardhome from starting( or even installing properly):
1) your router might not be fully rebooting each time you try to reboot due to hung processes. (E.g storage never fully unmounts)
2) your storage might not be successfully mount upon completion of each reboot. ( e.g corruption on flash storage, or storage is not marked as clean recommendation is to run disk check on storage between reboots.)

These are the only conclusions I could come up with. All of which are not adguardhome related, but could both prevent adguardhome from starting and/or installing properly between reboots. Adguardhome depends on both a dedicated and reliable entware repository (and flash storage). When this is not achieved between reboots, adguardhome will not properly start (or install). While not directly an adguardhome problem, it easily creates an issue with trying to reliably run adguardhome between reboots.
USB Storage is Crucial SSD so hopefully it's ok. What about enabling AdGuardHome log, will that capture USB storage issue? How to enable it? See above how I tried but that enables queries in syslog. Log file in the provided location also doesn't get created.

USB Storage is Crucial SSD so hopefully it's ok. What about enabling AdGuardHome log, will that capture USB storage issue? How to enable it? See above how I tried but that enables queries in syslog. Log file in the provided location also doesn't get created.
That wont capture the USB logs because those are normal syslog transactions. AdGuardHome logs would not be helpful determining if you are experiencing USB troubles. If anything, Adguardhome logs would just fill your current system log with unnecessary chatter. You would be looking for system log entries either before Entware has mounted (e.g. system log entrees that indicate your USB storage has mounted successfully or errors indicated it failed to mount). Or, you would be looking for system logs that indicate a failure to unmount right before reboot. A lack of system log entries showing your USB mounting after reboot may indicate a bigger issue unrelated to AdGuardHome.

If you have verified your Entware is mounted and working on each AdGuardHome failure, then the other cause for AdGuardHome failing to start could be a result of insufficient memory available during the time AdGuardHome was started. (OOM killer got to it before it could start.) AdGuardHome debug logs would only be useful to you if you are making it to this point.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!