What's new

Ads on top of forum content...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running a forum requires both time and money. SNBForums has been a great option for me for over 10 years now, and has been mutually beneficial.

I understand and wish to preserve this. Hence my suggestion in post1.

OP

I don`t see any overlapping ads here. That`s why @thiggins is asking for screenshots. It might be a layout issue where your browser resizes the right sidebar perhaps, making the ads no longer fit within their originally calculated width. Or it might be a few specific bad ads.

View attachment 52537

See post1... how many more screenshots do people need. It's the same one floating/overlapping ad on my 1024x768 display.

OE

@OzarkEdge, what resolution and magnification level are you using on your device(s)?

The issue may very well be a low-resolution monitor setting and/or high-magnification level (in the browser) interaction with the specific ad that makes it seem so much bigger for you.

See my post #10 where the problem appears when the window width is less than ~1100 pixels.

Perhaps right... should I buy new equipment to stick with this turn toward worse! :-/

OE

@OzarkEdge, what resolution and magnification level are you using on your device(s)?

The issue may very well be a low-resolution monitor setting and/or high-magnification level (in the browser) interaction with the specific ad that makes it seem so much bigger for you.

No magnification. Using two EIZO FlexScan L367 1024x768 native LCD displays on my desk... they just keep working like new!

Post1 shows what it looks like for me.

OE

Maybe time to retire those? At least for your main screen?

Windows 95-era hardware is the issue here, I believe. With almost 4K screens on phones, it may be time to update at least one of them.

Those were great monitors, but well past their (online browsing) prime. :)

Maybe time to retire those? At least for your main screen?

Windows 95-era hardware is the issue here, I believe. With almost 4K screens on phones, it may be time to update at least one of them.

Those were great monitors, but well past their (online browsing) prime. :)

I understand your point... it's a familiar one with technology. But they just keep working fine! :) I've already researched upgrades several different times and now those candidates are no longer current.

Testing this issue on my wife's 2017 Dell Latitude 7480 Laptop with 14" display, and attached Dell UltraSharp 24" InfinityEdge Monitor U2417H (MS Edge on Win10)... I get the same experience, the floating ad is still in the way of forum content... that's what a floating ad does by design... obscure page content to force the user to see it and dismiss it.

OE

There are no "pop-up" ads on SNBForums. I don't like them either. There is ONE floating ad that should float in the right-hand column. It looks like around 885 px width is where the ad will overlap content as shown in my screenshot below.

If you have your browser set so that the right-hand column isn't shown or is moved in line with main column, then, yes, the ad will overlap.

I have changed settings so that logged-in users should not be seeing the floating ad. If you are still seeing them, it could be because of other browser settings. You can also try logging out and in again and/or clearing the site cookies.

Beyond that, I have no other help for you. As RMerlin said, it takes time and money to run a forum. I'm not going to run at a loss, and donations won't provide enough revenue.

1692723934831.png

If you have your browser set so that the right-hand column isn't shown or is moved in line with main column, then, yes, the ad will overlap.

I have changed settings so that logged-in users should not be seeing the floating ad. If you are still seeing them, it could be because of other browser settings. You can also try logging out and in again and/or clearing the site cookies.

Logged out, deleted all browser data, logged in and same thing:
1692725212863.png

I, too, will leave this issue to others here. I've made my point.

OE

Your screenshot shows no right hand column. When you fix that, the ad won't overlap.

Your screenshot shows no right hand column. When you fix that, the ad won't overlap.

I wonder if that is a forum style issue... I'll play with it.

My OP shows a righthand column obscured by the ad.

The Watched threads page never has content in the righthand column area; intead, the Watched threads list expands wide into the righthand column area... and then the ad overlays it... yes, no apparent right hand column, but the ad is still there obscuring forum content.

OE

The Watched threads page never has content in the righthand column area;
Yes, you are correct. But again, you should not be seeing the floater any more since you are logged in. That is how it is working for me. If you are logged in and still seeing the ad it could be due to browser settings or ad blockers.

At any rate, I've made all the adaptations on this that I'm willing to make at this point. I'm sorry if it causes you to leave SNBForums. But it sounds like you were heading there anyway.

Thanks for your contributions, at any rate.

I just noticed that you are using the old forum template. I had not edited that template so that logged in users would not see the floater. I just made the edit, so you should not see the floater any more.
You might want to check out the new templates. Click on the Style chooser link at the bottom of the page.
1692734567946.png

I just noticed that you are using the old forum template. I had not edited that template so that logged in users would not see the floater. I just made the edit, so you should not see the floater any more.
You might want to check out the new templates. Click on the Style chooser link at the bottom of the page.
View attachment 52545

Switching to the new/default forum style appears to suppress the floating ad when logged in.

The old forum style (Fluid) still presents the floating ad when logged in, even after deleting all browser data and switching the forum style a few times.

The new/default forum style that does not block forum content with ads when logged in... does not use color for links for some reason, so less 'readable/useable', imo.

OE

Last edited:
All this talk about ad annoyance, and not a single mention of the lack of protected space up top, for ads? If i had a nickel for every mis-hit on a quick link click, due to the whole forum moving down...

Every other forum I'm on everywhere accounts for this space, why not this one?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!