What's new

Advice for Starlink based system

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shouldn't be a problem - not sure about DD_WRT, but I do work on OpenWRT over in the ath79 side - I don't think it'll be a problem with bridging...

80e - yeah, that is a bit spendy as broadband access over in the EU is much more affordable than it is here in the US - I pay 104USD for cable (300/30) and a second 5G-FWA sub with T-Mobile at $50USD

My team members over in UK and DE, they're amazed at the costs we pay - and talking with members on the forum here - Canada can be even more...
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I agree the prices for mobile and fiber broadband being charged in the US and in particular Canada are extortionate. Heck, I had to argue with the Vonage rep in Canada about charging twice to what they charge in the UK for the same package...

What I also found is that providers are willing to "negotiate". In Ontario, I managed to swing 1Gig fiber symmetric for 85 CAD pcm with Bell Canada. Everytime they raise it, it takes a call to have it "adjusted" again. Still expensive in comparison to the UK though.

It's really worth negotiating, nothing is set in stone. It's the only time I don't buy services on-line but over the phone to sweeten the deal.

and if you have time to share experience with StarLink...

We're a global community, and starlink is fairly new
I have 3 country friends that are too far out for cable or fiber and they use Starlink. They are pretty happy with it being out so far. They get around 50 to 80 meg during peak times and faster at night here in Texas.
It sure beats the all Microwave crap they were having to run with a tall tower.

I have 3 country friends that are too far out for cable or fiber and they use Starlink. They are pretty happy with it being out so far. They get around 50 to 80 meg during peak times and faster at night here in Texas.
It sure beats the all Microwave crap they were having to run with a tall tower.
Starlink is a great option for people who live in rural areas and don't have access to traditional internet providers. The speeds your friends are getting are pretty good, and it's definitely better than the microwave service they were using. I've been thinking about getting Starlink myself coz I live in a suburban area as well

Is internet subsidized in UK?
On topic how well does Starlink work in forests? Or does it not
There is some subsidy or schemes for rural parts of the UK for things like Starlink e.g. Scottish highlands where population density isn't enough to warrant fiber or the geography makes Mobile broadband coverage patchy at best. Urban areas, there is a lot of competition for fiber. I'm currently on community fiber for their 500 Mbps symemtric for 22 pcm but you get a £100 amazon voucher as well. Or recently 1gig fiber for £25 pcm with £150 amazon voucher for a 24 month contract which drops it to 18.75 a month.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!