What's new

advice needed for network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbacct

Occasional Visitor
CLOSED

My office and family room are on complete opposite sides of the first floor. I have cat5e coming from both the office and family room to a small area in my basement (like a small computer/network closet) that has a computer, xbox and a bunch of other stuff. I think the optimal set up would be 1 router in my office (close to my laptop, printer, etc), and 1 router in the family room (close to the firestick, xbox, and other family room AV stuff). 2 routers would also split the house in half (signal to basement, first floor, and second floor from each respective router for that respective half of the house).

My internet comes in through a cable modem in my office. I have an asus AC68U, an ASUS NT-66R, and a switch.

Would I be able to run Internet from my office cable modem and router (lets say the ASUS NT-66R) to the switch in the basement. Then run the switch to AC68U in the family room.

Asus NT-66R connected to cable modem (office) -> Trendnet Gigabit switch (basement) -> AC68U (family room)

Trendnet switch (basement) separately -> xbox, PC (basement)

If so, how would I do this? Would I basically do this, but connect the switch in between -> https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-One-Router-to-Another-to-Expand-a-Network

Last edited: