What's new

Advice needed for router/repeater usage in particular setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerguy

Occasional Visitor
Quick question... I am sharing my neighbor's Wifi, but at the same time, I'd like to have my own Wifi network with a private USB drive connected and the ability to use a VPN. I own a bunch of RT-AC56U's with Asuswrt-Merlin installed and I know I can have this by setting up two devices: One as a repeater to pick up the signal wirelessly, and a second one in regular router mode that is connected to the repeater via lan cable and that'll then broadcast my actual wifi network.

Is there an alternative method that will save me one of the devices? It would be great if the actual router could somehow pick up the wireless signal so I don't need a repeater standing next to it, but that's not possible, correct?

Thanks!

Not possible I think. Just like having your own router when connected to your own ISP, you want the same here to ensure you have as full control as possible on your side of the network, and 'they' don't. :)

To clarify though, you don't want a repeater. You want to set up the first router in Media Bridge mode. Otherwise, not only will you be sharing the WiFi, but you will also be extending your neighbor's WiFi coverage too. :)

Not possible I think. Just like having your own router when connected to your own ISP, you want the same here to ensure you have as full control as possible on your side of the network, and 'they' don't. :)

To clarify though, you don't want a repeater. You want to set up the first router in Media Bridge mode. Otherwise, not only will you be sharing the WiFi, but you will also be extending your neighbor's WiFi coverage too. :)
Thanks for the reply - will go for the media bridge, then.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!