What's new

Advice needed on Access Points system (Unifi / Omada / Netgear / Zyxel / Grandstream / Dlink)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Frequent firmware release is a sign that the manufacturer finds, fixes and releases updates for problems.

It's also a sign for weak development with fixes needed all the time. One popular manufacturer around here is a good example. 🤭

I have a friend with a UniFi dream machine, and they are happy with it, but they are not network people.
I think I will stick to Cisco. They fix all problems, easy or hard like nothing. They do not struggle with software. It is no big deal for them. Their software is excellent about as good as you can find with top management of their products.

Zyxel Nebula offers a free license that is more than enough for 3-4 APs.
This is true, although the aim is to avoid cloud-based services altogether.

I recently tested Grandstream's top of the range GWN7664 and I would say that the wifi range is mediocre, worse than I got with the Tp-Link APs.

I like the built-in controller with all the possible features to control many slave APs from one master AP, but the AP works a bit weird. It usually chooses the worst channel for 5Ghz and the signal is very poor even at the highest setting on both bands.

I will get a Cisco 150AX to test and then make a decision.

wifi range is mediocre
Some channels can transmit at higher power than others, due to local regulations. For example if you compare a channel higher than 100 with channel 36, the later range will be reduced significantly. When comparing 2 APs, use the exact same channel.

My Cisco 150ax 2x2 wireless APs don't have the coverage of my older Cisco 581 4x4 wireless APs. But the price for the Cisco 150ax APs is a lot cheaper and I think having more APs is better than less. You end up with more active talkers for less money if you use separate channels.

I think TP-Link software sucks so I would never buy anything TP-Link.