What's new

Advice on compatible 12+ ft USB Cable to interconnect a NAS and UPS for shutdown

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ldesmar

Occasional Visitor
I am looking for technical advice on this point.

I recently purchased an APC UPS to connect my QNAP TS-459PRO in order to protect it and initiate a proper shutdown of the NAS during a power outage. The model for this APC UPS is the BR1300LCD (which is part of the Back-UPS RS series from APC). Have initially tested the UPS-->NAS devices together with the standard 6 ft USB Cable that shipped with the UPS unit and all worked well.

However, there is no room for these 2 units to be installed in such proximity to each other. The best I can do is move it in such a a way where I would need a 12 ft USB cable between the UPS and the NAS. I checked with the APC folks and am told that this UPS model does not offer any longer USB cables to make the connection!

Are there any 12+ ft USB extension cables that anyone know could do the job?

Could I use a powered mini-USB hub devices that could connect the current cable and extend with another USB cable that would still support the interface to intiate the shoutdown on the NAS during an outage ? Would this work or is-there something preventing this? I would obviously plug the powered mini-USB hub device on the UPS outlets to make sure it works during an outage.

Does anyone have any experience in using a similar "extention" ?

Thanks.

I was under the "impression" that the supplied USB cable perhaps had some special attributes specific to the interface for a UPS-->NAS, which would have required a similar "special USB cable" !

From your responses, it looks like any normal USB extender may just do then :) Will give that a try.

Thanks

I'm not aware of anything special about the APC's USB port.