What's new

Advice on how to optimize a powerline network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How does the power get from the garage to the house ? Underground or above ground ? If under ground did they run it inside a conduit or just direct bury it ?

Not sure. However, when the ISP installers and our electrician were on-site they completely ruled out running the fiber installation with the power wiring for some reason after examining our setup.

Using that ferret was genius by the way.

Not sure. However, when the ISP installers and our electrician were on-site they completely ruled out running the fiber installation with the power wiring for some reason after examining our setup.

Using that ferret was genius by the way.

This is my understanding (from another forum):
"It is NOT permissible to run fiber optic cable and 120V wire in the same conduit. To be in the same conduit, the insulation from all conductors in that conduit would have to have the same voltage rating. In this case, fiber optic cable does not have the same voltage rating as the 120V cable in the conduit."

So it seems it has to do with the insulation and not the wire or optics inside.

Electrical codes I've seen on this topic were written originally to prohibit mixing low voltage and mains voltage or higher, in the same conduit. Such as doorbell wire, TV coax, and so on. Though fiber isn't an electrical wire nor a conductor of electricity, I suppose they apply the same rules.

Electrical codes I've seen on this topic were written originally to prohibit mixing low voltage and mains voltage or higher, in the same conduit. Such as doorbell wire, TV coax, and so on. Though fiber isn't an electrical wire nor a conductor of electricity, I suppose they apply the same rules.

It probably depends on the county/city how they apply it in the US. There is a prohibition about low voltage wiring with mains, but I have seen fiber run with mains wiring and supposedly the county signed off on it. So it might be an individual county/city/inspector-by-inspector thing.

The fiber cannot conduct the electricity, even if the mains wiring were to lose its insulation and come in to contact with the fiber, so it presents no danger, which is what the code is about (IE you can short 120/240v in to 12/24v wiring and start a fire, or electrocute someone when they press your door bell if there is any insulation issues).

Most city/county codes defer to the National Electrical Codes.
Yeah, individual inspectors vary.

Me myself, I wouldn't mix fiber with mains in same conduit for fear that in a fire, the insurance company would use it as an out. Chemical out-gassing or some such. They do tend to do that. Like my neighbor's case, where his house was totally lost in a fire due to a neighbor using gasoline in ground squirrel holes, on a hot windy day. The beloved insurance company offered 50 cents on the dollar because the fire burned from the roof down and stopped half-way down the walls. Really.

Most city/county codes defer to the National Electrical Codes.
Yeah, individual inspectors vary.

Me myself, I wouldn't mix fiber with mains in same conduit for fear that in a fire, the insurance company would use it as an out. Chemical out-gassing or some such. They do tend to do that. Like my neighbor's case, where his house was totally lost in a fire due to a neighbor using gasoline in ground squirrel holes, on a hot windy day. The beloved insurance company offered 50 cents on the dollar because the fire burned from the roof down and stopped half-way down the walls. Really.

Wow. Just curious what was the result? Took the settlement? Insurance commisioner complaint? Lawsuit? All of the above?

My in-law's next door neighbors (fortunately like 300ft away) had their house burn down about a month ago. Stories vary, but it seems like what happened is they were nearly pass out drunk, grilling and instead of turning it off when they put the grill away, they accidently left it on. Caught their deck on fire because it was right under an awning where they put it away. Didn't notice it till the deck was full involved. Was burned to the foundation 5 minutes later. Fortunately they got out. Heat was so extreme it melted the vinyl siding of their neighbors on the other side of their house who were only 80ft away, as well as caught a few trees on fire (which fortunately the fire department was able to put out before it spread further).

Insurance companies can be a B.

My neighbor whose house burned declared bankruptcy due to insurance company's 50% offer complicated by being under-insured anyway due to inflation. He and his wife split, she with the children, partly due to the stress.

Car accident I was in - State Farm said they will not pay for OEM new parts in the repair. Only used or cheap stuff. Repair shop said they won't warranty with non-OEM parts. State Farm knew well that I'd have to cave in and pay big bucks.

Insurance companies are slime-balls and liars in their advertising.
read the fine print in your policy.

Sorry I went off on this, but.

Last edited: