What's new

Advice with update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lmputer

New Around Here
Hello to all.I am new to forum.I would like some advice I have a Axe11000 running as main router and my 1st gen older Ac68u that was my main router now as my mesh hard wired node.Both are on asus firmware.I just saw that I can now update AXE11000 to Merlin Firmware so I would like to update now both of them to Merlin is there any steps that I should do to both before installing Merlin.should I do hard reset on both or just a gui reset.

Welcome.

In general, a reset *before* installing an update is not usually necessary.

When switching *between* firmware streams, from Asus to RMerlin and vice-versa, it is usually a really good idea to perform a full reset and then manually configure the router. Loading a saved configuration file in these circumstances is usually to be avoided since die to the way the data is stored, it essentially negates the point of the reset.

However, there is nothing wrong with simply loading the firmware version you want to try and see how it goes. But, if you run into anything strange after, then a reset and manual configure should be the first thing you do to see if it corrects the problem.

Word of advice, save all your old firmware versions, and save configuration files too. Keep the "sets" of firmware and configuration files together (personally, I rename the config file to include the firmware version info and date) in case you ever want to go back for whatever reason.

Hello to all.I am new to forum.I would like some advice I have a Axe11000 running as main router and my 1st gen older Ac68u that was my main router now as my mesh hard wired node.Both are on asus firmware.I just saw that I can now update AXE11000 to Merlin Firmware so I would like to update now both of them to Merlin is there any steps that I should do to both before installing Merlin.should I do hard reset on both or just a gui reset.

My current firmware upgrade notes:
o Run WinMD5 to verify Asuswrt .w file MD5 checksum value
o Save settings .cfg file for reverting to existing firmware
o Unmount/disconnect any USB storage
o Perform AiMesh\System Reboot, wait
o Upload Asuswrt to nodes
o Upload Asuswrt to router (dirty upgrade)
o Remove nodes to automatically Reset (firmware defaults)
o Restore w/Initialize router (firmware defaults w/data purge)
o Configure router from scratch (clean upgrade)
o Connect/mount/scan any USB storage

Adjust as required for using Asuswrt-Merlin. Also see the following... you may not need to install Asuswrt-Merlin on the remote node:
AiMesh · RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng Wiki · GitHub

OE