What's new

Advise: Choosing the Switches: Gigabit as well as Non-Gigabit?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crashnburn

Regular Contributor
Advise: Choosing the Switches: Gigabit as well as Non-Gigabit?

I appreciate all the inputs from Tim, Scotty and other names that I cant remember off the top of my head.

I am in final stages of trying to pick a switch.

At the high end, I am looking at the HP Pro Curve 1400-24G & 1800-24G after some strong recommendations by Scotty and others.

At the other end, I have bunch of options of cheaper 16-port Gigabit switches from other vendors - Some Unmanaged, Some SMART.

I am wondering given the "FEW" Gigabit devices I have, do I really need it. Well.. RIGHT NOW!!! I have a few GigE devices and remaining 10/100 devices and all of them end up being less than 16. In fact they barely get up to 8. I know the family will use WiFi a lot... except by ME or when streaming DVD Media.

PLUS:
I have a local guy willing to sell a Linksys Web / Smart Switch - 24 port 10/100 with 2 Gig ports (not sure if they are uplink only) for under 50$. (A steal if it makes sense).
It could be my temporary solution to take me through another year or so, until I get more Gigabit Devices... and later Gigabit Switch prices might fall. I could save $$$.

Do you think the Gigabit switch prices would fall more in the coming year or two?

Typically SMART ones are more expensive... but at the same time I am wondering if I really NEED the 1800-24G.. Its expensive at 330-350$.
BUT, none the less I'll buy it if the NEED is THERE.

The critical questions are:
1) Do I really need it? What do I really need?
2) If I really do get it "NOW" would I really derive any benefit?

I am attaching a list of my devices, locations & usage so that we can make that call.

PICASA ALBUM with fullsize Zoomable Images.
FULL SIZE IMAGES - CAN ZOOM IN:
http://picasaweb.google.com/AbhiGlo...photo?authkey=fBw1U6n6fPs#5220566434434913138
http://picasaweb.google.com/AbhiGlo...photo?authkey=fBw1U6n6fPs#5225986121636578482

3D DIAGRAM: FULL IMAGE - CAN ZOOM IN:
Media%20Setup%209%2001.gif

NETWORK DEVICES & PORT TYPE LIST: FULL IMAGE - CAN ZOOM IN:
Network%20Port%20Count%20and%20Usage.GIF

ORIGINAL THREAD DESCRIBING ENTIRE HOME MEDIA SETUP.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=140

I am the GEEK of the family, so everyone else is a casual user. But I am hoping & guessing that the Media Streaming via XBOX XBMC is going to make them use the DIGITAL MEDIA more (DVD ISOs, Movies etc on the NAS).

Last edited:
You can get a Dell PowerConnect 2724 for $269. Or you can get a Netgear GS724T for $294 at NewEgg. I've worked with both the Dell and the Netgear Smart/Web switches extensively. The Dell I have is a 2708 which has been running reliably for about 4 or so years now. The only issue I've had with the Dell is its issues with working with an Etherchannel/LACP aggregated link setup. My company just purchased a Dell 2748 and I'll be interested to see if this switch also has the same issues.

I also just purchased for my home a Netgear GS748TP. It replaced to old Netgear FS526T switches. I had some quirky issues with the FS526Ts and was a bit hessitant in buying another Netgear Smart switch. But I can honestly say that the GS748TP was a very pleasant surprise. Not only was the setup rather pain free, it had a lot of unexpected features like layer 2 based ACLs, greater flexibility with configuring spanning tree, etc, etc. I haven't had the time to explore other features of the switch yet. The Etherchannel connection I set up between the GS748TP and my Cisco 2960G switch was also painless. Everything just works.

You can get a Dell PowerConnect 2724 for $269. Or you can get a Netgear GS724T for $294 at NewEgg. I've worked with both the Dell and the Netgear Smart/Web switches extensively. The Dell I have is a 2708 which has been running reliably for about 4 or so years now. The only issue I've had with the Dell is its issues with working with an Etherchannel/LACP aggregated link setup. My company just purchased a Dell 2748 and I'll be interested to see if this switch also has the same issues.

I also just purchased for my home a Netgear GS748TP. It replaced to old Netgear FS526T switches. I had some quirky issues with the FS526Ts and was a bit hessitant in buying another Netgear Smart switch. But I can honestly say that the GS748TP was a very pleasant surprise. Not only was the setup rather pain free, it had a lot of unexpected features like layer 2 based ACLs, greater flexibility with configuring spanning tree, etc, etc. I haven't had the time to explore other features of the switch yet. The Etherchannel connection I set up between the GS748TP and my Cisco 2960G switch was also painless. Everything just works.

You got a 1369$ switch for your home set up. I'd like to hear about your Home Media Network - More like see the setup in another THREAD. A little show & tell.

PS: I dont think I want to spend that much / need that much. Gulp!

I guess my high point is the HP ProCurve 1800-24G.

I am wondering if I really need it / I can use this TEMP solution.

You got a 1369$ switch for your home set up. I'd like to hear about your Home Media Network - More like see the setup in another THREAD. A little show & tell.

PS: I dont think I want to spend that much / need that much. Gulp!

I guess my high point is the HP ProCurve 1800-24G.

I am wondering if I really need it / I can use this TEMP solution.

LOL.

Well, the Netgear GS748TP is a pretty expensive switch. But it's far from the most expensive device in my home network. I have a bunch of other Cisco gear that I've used as part of my home "production" network and part being used as a lab/test environment. I'm a network engineer by profession so I'm constantly tinkering.

Don't know if I just want to start a thread talking about my network. If you would like, I can list the components I have and post up a pick of my network rack.

Anyways, with the price of the Dell or the even the bit more expensive GS724T, stepping up to GigE isn't too much of a big difference.

Network Engineeer :) No wonder these are your Toys. I bet you have CCNA. Almost went down that track several years ago.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!