What's new

Aegis Aegis (simple yet effective protection)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The trap in net-wan didn't trig...
So now I suspect udhcpc. It's loaded at boot and not easy to debug.
I'll keep debugging going on, and post here if I make any progress.
(Also pppd may get involved, but not in my system).

FYI:
For next addon release:
Just added auto-loading of aegis "private" lists from USB device at start of aegis.
Viva Aegis!!!
Thank you @HELLO_wORLD, for your fantastic aegis!
Ah udhcpc would make sense, if you have a lease of 5:15h, ½ lease would be your 9450 seconds.
You could easily check that with tcpdump on wan for dhcp frames (udp ports 67 & 68).

I can confirm it is udhcpc that issues this.
And it does not care about the nvram parameter dhcpc_lease_time.
I don't know if we have source code for this.
But the output can be patched to something else, since it may be missleading.

I can confirm it is udhcpc that issues this.
And it does not care about the nvram parameter dhcpc_lease_time.
I don't know if we have source code for this.
But the output can be patched to something else, since it may be missleading.
With Entware, you can install other DHCP clients. The one on the firmware is not great and I had problems with it (thanks to Netgear…) as the client was renewing at the end of the lease (and not ½ time as it should, and my lease is only 5 minutes) thus creating a micro-cut [that might be your case], so I used a third party one, then I coded my own mini DHCP client tailored to my needs (as I have a static IP, but still through DHCP, I had my setup as static, but my custom client was making the ISP's server happy).

The lease_time not being respected may be normal. Your client is telling your ISP's server its wished lease time, but at the end, it is the server/relay that has the final word and can impose its own lease time (since it is the one granting the lease).
In any case, whatever the lease_time is, a DHCP client is supposed to renew the lease at ½ the lease_time or by any means before the lease ends (to prevent cuts).

In your case, I would first check the lease time and if udhcpc is renewing at the end (bad) or earlier (good), and go with an alternate DHCP client from Entware if needed ;)

With Entware, you can install other DHCP clients. The one on the firmware is not great and I had problems with it (thanks to Netgear…) as the client was renewing at the end of the lease (and not ½ time as it should, and my lease is only 5 minutes) thus creating a micro-cut [that might be your case], so I used a third party one, then I coded my own mini DHCP client tailored to my needs (as I have a static IP, but still through DHCP, I had my setup as static, but my custom client was making the ISP's server happy).

The lease_time not being respected may be normal. Your client is telling your ISP's server its wished lease time, but at the end, it is the server/relay that has the final word and can impose its own lease time (since it is the one granting the lease).
In any case, whatever the lease_time is, a DHCP client is supposed to renew the lease at ½ the lease_time or by any means before the lease ends (to prevent cuts).

In your case, I would first check the lease time and if udhcpc is renewing at the end (bad) or earlier (good), and go with an alternate DHCP client from Entware if needed ;)
Thank you very much for all information and tips!
My lease time is 3 h, so I'm not in any trouble with the renewing.
My connection never (micro-)cuts, it's just an annoying log, that should say renewing instead of connecting!
I've to think about this to see what/if to do with the addon with this.

(…) it's just an annoying log, that should say renewing instead of connecting!
I've to think about this to see what/if to do with the addon with this.
Maybe something like this on udhcpc to intercept the output and correct it before sending it back to the log?

I would like to use this
Selective Parental Control in my build of firmware

Together with Aegis, how should I add the lines in firewall-start.sh file?
Should they be added before or after this line, or some other way?

# Bolemo aegis
[ -x /opt/bolemo/scripts/aegis ] && /opt/bolemo/scripts/aegis _fws

Thanks

Hello @Jake77

Thank you for using Aegis :)

Looking at the code for Selective Parental Control, it should not matter if it is put before or after Aegis.

However, in general and/or in doubt, it is advised to put any custom code before the line # Bolemo aegis.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!