What's new

AI mesh and a switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

salmon

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have the primary router (AX56U) connected directly via ethernet to the AI mesh router (AC68u). I have a switch connected to the AX56U which connect to a few other devices. I'm getting disconnects occasionally when the log shows this:

Jun 22 18:37:01 kernel: br0: port 6(wds1.0.2) received tcn bpdu
Jun 22 18:37:01 kernel: br0: topology change detected, sending tcn bpdu
Jun 22 18:37:21 kernel: br0: port 3(eth1) neighbor xxxx.xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx lost
Jun 22 18:37:21 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Jun 22 18:37:28 hostapd: eth6: STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xxIEEE 802.11: disassociated
Jun 22 18:37:28 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth6: Deauth_indxx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Jun 22 18:38:01 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(499): eth6: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)

Jun 22 23:07:10 kernel: br0: port 3(eth1) neighbor xxxx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx lost
Jun 22 23:07:10 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

Do I need to connect the AI mesh to the switch to prevent this happening?

I believe it happens as each time devices roam between the main router and the AI mesh.

I also have Dual WAN but I don't think that is the issue here.

There is this eth1 lost constantly appearing in the logs with the propagating, this is a Sky Q box.

Jun 22 02:45:48 kernel: br0: port 3(eth1) neighbor 7f00.xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx lost
Jun 22 02:45:48 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating

I think my current setup is:
Main Router - > AI Mesh (& Switch )- > Sky Q Mini
Main Router -> Switch (& AI Mesh) - > Sky Q main box

I'm going to try changing it to
Main Router -> Switch -> Sky Q Main box, AI Mesh -> Sky Q Mini (from AI Mesh)

Last edited:
AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes

Your AiMesh = AX56U + AC68U, yes?

OE

I think my current setup is:
Main Router - > AI Mesh (& Switch )- > Sky Q Mini
Main Router -> Switch (& AI Mesh) - > Sky Q main box

I'm going to try changing it to
Main Router -> Switch -> Sky Q Main box, AI Mesh -> Sky Q Mini (from AI Mesh)

I have the same issue and this is driving me crazy. I also have a Sky Q box and 2 Sky Q Minis, It started to give me issues this summer, it worked before, I also changed my main router to a AX86U for this, supposing it was related to the old router, but no way. I tried both my old AC68U as AiMesh nodes and I obtain the same results.
Did you solve it?

I have the same issue and this is driving me crazy. I also have a Sky Q box and 2 Sky Q Minis, It started to give me issues this summer, it worked before, I also changed my main router to a AX86U for this, supposing it was related to the old router, but no way. I tried both my old AC68U as AiMesh nodes and I obtain the same results.
Did you solve it?

Hello, yes I solved it. Only use 1 LAN port on the back of the main node / router going to your switch, then connect everything to the switch including the AI mesh node. Don't connect anything else by ethernet directly to your main router.

Reactions: GDT
Hello, yes I solved it. Only use 1 LAN port on the back of the main node / router going to your switch, then connect everything to the switch including the AI mesh node. Don't connect anything else by ethernet directly to your main router.
Is this a known issue with the factory firmware, or is it only on Merlin?

Now I have to look up option 61...lol. never heard of it, have no idea what you mean...so off I go to research and learn...

Now I have to look up option 61...lol. never heard of it, have no idea what you mean...so off I go to research and learn...

Regarding option 61 I'm not sure many other ISP providers use it, except Sky in the UK.

Are you having this same issue with the Ai Mesh and the switch?

I suspect you're trying to have the AiMesh and the Sky wifi boxes work together under AIMesh, but only the Asus units can work together...with the Sky boxes working along side as APs where (and if) necessary.
Option 61 seems like a very secure method of authenticating users - is this a PPPoE method? are you bridging your Sky modem and doing the authentication in Merlin?
I'd bridge your main Sky unit (and turn off its wifi radios), connect that to the WAN of your main router (AX56), and then either hardwired or through the switch to the AC68 mesh node....the sky q mini units can then be used as APs or media bridges (or should be able to be used that way, if the Asus machines don't give you sufficient wifi coverage)
I've yet to have time to do the re-wiring necessary to set up a mesh in my home - what struck me as odd is your router "rejecting" other wired connections. That doesn't seem correct, and I'd encourage you to raise it with Asus, after ensuring that you're optimally configured at your end.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!