What's new

Ai Mesh and Print Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeLikeWater

New Around Here
*** Prefix I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm NOT saying that this is a Merlin thing, it's just that both routers are on Merlin 386.1.2 ***

Hey guys maybe you can help.
I've just repurposed an old AC86U to be an Ai Mesh Node to my AX86U, a major part of the exercise was to get my USB laser printer on the network, but it now seems that that is the one function that the node can't do!

Has anyone come up against this before? and /or have a solution?
Cheers.

First search result on DuckDuckGo:

*** Prefix I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm NOT saying that this is a Merlin thing, it's just that both routers are on Merlin 386.1.2 ***

Hey guys maybe you can help.
I've just repurposed an old AC86U to be an Ai Mesh Node to my AX86U, a major part of the exercise was to get my USB laser printer on the network, but it now seems that that is the one function that the node can't do!

Has anyone come up against this before? and /or have a solution?
Cheers.

You may ultimately be better off using a dedicated print server box.

OE

you cannot print to AiMesh node... the nodes dont support printing, only SMB, Download master and Time Machine.
I've got the same problem too... finally used some old Edimax router with a print server in it as a client to the AX58U

you cannot print to AiMesh node... the nodes dont support printing, only SMB, Download master and Time Machine.
I've got the same problem too... finally used some old Edimax router with a print server in it as a client to the AX58U
Are you sure? I haven’t tried this myself but entware can be installed and Cups is available in entware repository, so I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work?

well... I don't really know what Entware is and how to use it.. it seems the available info is very limited... I've tried to setup a printer using LPR to Mesh's IP address and it didn't work.
You can see inside your router settings that the printing method is not supported on the nodes. (attached picture)

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.jpg
    Screenshot_11.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_10.jpg
    Screenshot_10.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 162
well... I don't really know what Entware is and how to use it.. it seems the available info is very limited... I've tried to setup a printer using LPR to Mesh's IP address and it didn't work.
You can see inside your router settings that the printing method is not supported on the nodes. (attached picture)

True, LPR Server is isn't available on AIMesh Nodes (as far as I'm aware, and ... unfortunately), but there are other ways. As said, I haven't tried this myself, but if it is important to you, you can explore the possibilities. Entware is a huge repository available to embedded devices (such as our routers running Asuswrt-Merlin) and the maintainers port new packages and maintain existing packages to the appropriate architectures. More about Entware at https://entware.net/ and the repository can be found at https://bin.entware.net/. One of the packages available is CUPS, which can be set up as printer server. If you up for a new project, it might be worth your while (and instructive) to deepen your knowledge on Entware as a whole boatload of possibilities will be unleashed when you discover it. Many of the scripts available on this forum depend on entware, so chances are you're already using it without knowing it.

Best regards,
Marco

That's true for routers, not for AIMesh Nodes as far as I'm aware.
Yes you’re right, it doesn’t seem to be working now. I’m not sure how I did it now, I will have a look later. I have removed it as it’s incorrect.

What about if you SSH into the node and try to start the printer server manually:
Code:
nvram set usb_printer=1
nvram commit
service "restart_lpd;restart_u2ec"