What's new

AI Mesh - Node connection issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Valyno

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an AX88 with last Merlin firmware driving 3 nodes:
- 2 AX58 (both with latest Merlin firmware
- 1 AX92, with stock firmware
The 3 nodes have a wired backhaul.

I am experiencing some issues with one of the AX58: the WAN led says that the routeur (as node) has no internet connection (red led).
The AX88 and the 2 others are connected to internet withtout any problem.
When I go in the AI Mesh admin page of the AX88, it says that all my nodes are online and of course connection wuality is good (brand new Cat6a network..)

How come the routeur (noede AX58) says it has no internet connection when the AX88 says everything is fine?

I have no tested yet to plug a wired computer to test, as the node is in a hattic.
I have reflashed the node with Merlin firmware, but it did change nothing.
For info, the house is in a L shape, with the main routeur on ground floor, in the corner of the L, under a concrete starcase (all house is made of concrete with steel structure, and walls are covered with drywalls and their aluminium structure).

Thks for your help
Valyno

You have plugged the ethernet into the node WAN connection? Leave the backhaul set to Auto. The nodes should connect and sort out the best connection. And if it works just ignore the LED's.

Hi bbunge,
Thks for your reply.
I have move down the faulty AX58 down rom the hattic to conduct some tests.
I confirm that the ethernet cord was plugged in the WAN port of the router.

I am writing from my laptop connected by LAN to the router, and I have network.
If I unplug the RJ 45 cable and reactivate the wifi, the lapy will connect to the wifi network of the router, but I will have an exclamation point in the wifi logo to warn that there is no internet connection (and the internet led is red but the leds for 2.4 and 5 Ghz network are white). And the laptop has not access to the internet.

Something weird: I also see an ASUS wifi network showing up, where I can connect, but I will have no internet connectivity.

On the main router, I have a 2 guest network setted-up: one in 2.4Ghz and the other one on the 5Ghz.

My other AX58, as node, has no issue, the Internet led is white and the clients can connect to it's wifi and access to the internet...
I am at loss here...

Hello,
I have reset the router with stock firmware and configured it as an access point: now the router is having the connection and the wifi connecting properly, with white led.
I will maybe redo an attempt with AI Mesh...

I have 3 58U's and occasionally , after power issues and occasionally, after firmware updates, get the red LED on one of the nodes.
1 node is connected directly via a powerline ethernet adapter to the main router. The other is connected via ethernet directly to the main router. Its this one that give me the grief. I normally just power off, hold the WPS button, Power on and wait about 30 seconds. Power off , wait 10 secs, power on and then head back to the main router and click the add node. The node is recognized within 10 seconds and I just then click connect and it reconfigures the node, and retains all the bindings I had made to it. The only thing I have to adjust is the name of the node as that defaults to "Home" The main router is "Den" , the ethernet one is "2nd Floor" and the powerline one is "Garage"
Other than that, its all rock solid .. Running 386.2_alpha2-g0b90696715 on the two nodes and 386.1_2 on the main router.

Hi Suzib6sw,
thks for sharing.
You are able to re-bind the router in the Mesh system with the Ethernet backhaul? no need to do it through wifi?

Hi Suzib6sw,
thks for sharing.
You are able to re-bind the router in the Mesh system with the Ethernet backhaul? no need to do it through wifi?
I have an AC68U that would not add as a mesh node over WIFI but did add when connected via Ethernet. Now that it is set to be a node it connects over WiFi just fine.

Hello,
My second AX58 went rogue as well. Red led for WAN connection, multiple wifi issues all day.
I just reset this node as well and set it up as a AP. Will see but I thing I am done with AI Mesh now....

This is interesting, i just found out today my wifi signal was bad at the upper part of my house.
Checking the AX-58U thats configured as mesh node i can ping its IP, if i press reboot in the AI Mesh menu it will reboot so all connectivity seems to be fine.
It just doesnt seem to get all configuration as its sending out Asus_5G ntwork and not my own network, trying to connect to the Asus_5G fails.
Guess i have to factory reset it as it also shows the red light as WAN :(

Extra info: both unit running Merlin 386.2_4 and is using a wired connections as backhaul