What's new

[AI Mesh] RT-AC86U with RT-AC88U as node advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lorkadiscovery

Occasional Visitor
Hello all.

I have a RT-86U as my main router in my home. I have managed to get my hands on a RT-AC88U so thought why not try out the AI Mesh system.

My home is not a big house, its a 4 room downstairs and 3 bed upstairs. In total its probably about 30ft x 30ft

The main issue with my home is that the walls are poured concrete and the router has to be positioned in the corner of the living room due to modem and wiring limitations.

Upstairs I have 3 firesticks that are all 5G compatible and they get a RSSI of about -70--78 dBi, I wanted to try and make this better by using AI Mesh

I followed the AI Mesh guide posted here in regards to disabling beam forming, airtime fairness, etc.

I have placed the RT-AC88U upstairs the 5G back haul (due to wiring limitations) and currently the mesh node is connected with:

2.4G Log
MAC
<unknown>
<unknown>117 / 361 Mbps
-52 dBm
0:58:333 (ac)_STMAU

5G Log
MAC
<unknown>
<unknown>936 / 1053 Mbps
-61 dBm
0:55:344 (ac)_STMAU

I am finding that the firesticks never roam to this node and would prefer to fall back onto 2.4 from the main router.

I understand that devices are the ones who ultimately decide what SSID to connect to and where to stay so the question I have is....

Is this setup just a waste of time, and I should just stick with the main router or am I missing something in my setup and someone may have some advice on a better way to set this up with positioning etc.

Thank you so much in advance.

Do you use Dual Band SmartConnect? If not you should. Also set your WIFI back to defaults.

Do you use Dual Band SmartConnect? If not you should. Also set your WIFI back to defaults.

Yes I use smart connect so the 2.4 and 5G both use the same SSIDs. By restore the wifi to defaults do you mean ignore the things like turn beamforming off in the thread about smart connect?

Thanks

Yes I use smart connect so the 2.4 and 5G both use the same SSIDs. By restore the wifi to defaults do you mean ignore the things like turn beamforming off in the thread about smart connect?

Thanks

Perhaps disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs (and fixed non-DFS channels 1,6,11 and 36-48 149-161 for N.A.). Connect the Firesticks to the 5.0 SSID (step1). And then raise the Roaming Assistant RSSI threshold a bit (more positive), if necessary (step2).

I disable Universal Beamforming and Airtime Fairness, but I don't think these are the issue here.

OE

Also, shouldn't you be using whichever is the more powerful device as the router and the less powerful one as the node for a better AiMesh setup. I assume the AC88U is higher spec than the AC86U.

You would assume wrong then. The RT-AC86U is superior.