What's new

AiMesh: 2nd 5Ghz to dual-band node. What happens?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snovvman

Occasional Visitor
Setup:
AiMesh, AC5300 main, two AC88U nodes. Each band (2.4 Ghz, 1st 5 Ghz, 2nd 5 Ghz) has a unique SSID.
Roaming assist on for 2.4 and 1st 5 Ghz.
I am using Ethernet backhaul. With 384.16, I am able to connect to the 2nd 5 Ghz.

Question:
When a device is connected to the 2nd 5Ghz band on the 5300, what happens when I cross into a strong signal area serviced by one of the AC88U nodes?

Scenario 1: What happens if my device/client has both 1st and 2nd 5 Ghz configured? Will it jump over to the 1st 5 Ghz?

Scenario 2: What happens if my device only has the 2nd 5 Ghz configured? Will it just stick with the 5300 even when the signal gets weak?

Also: What if I turn on roaming assist on the 2nd 5 Ghz? I have no other tri-band nodes.

Thanks.

they need to enable back the smart connect for tri-band option. I don't want to have 2 different wifi network in my house

2nd-5GHz band is reserved for Wifi-backhaul in Aimesh-mode even if you use LAN-backhaul, regularly not used by any clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!