What's new

AiMesh 3 routers with wireless backhaul.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ecantona9

Occasional Visitor
I'm thinking about adding an AX86U as the main with the nodes being the AC86U and the AC3100 during the holiday season. Has anyone gotten a 3 router system to work on a completely wireless backhaul?

Sure, those setups work (3 routers in very, very large homes). What may not work well or reliably is an AX router configured with 2x AC class routers. Depending on how you set the wireless settings on the RT-AX86U. And my reasoning for not doing so is that you are not getting the benefits of the AX router if you do 'dumb' it down to AC class levels.

A better bet would be to plan to get at least a second RT-AX86U, sooner than later, if needed. A single AX router may (easily) cover the areas now covered by the two AC class routers you now have.

Only actual testing will tell though, in your environment with your clients.

Sure, those setups work (3 routers in very, very large homes). What may not work well or reliably is an AX router configured with 2x AC class routers. Depending on how you set the wireless settings on the RT-AX86U. And my reasoning for not doing so is that you are not getting the benefits of the AX router if you do 'dumb' it down to AC class levels.

A better bet would be to plan to get at least a second RT-AX86U, sooner than later, if needed. A single AX router may (easily) cover the areas now covered by the two AC class routers you now have.

Only actual testing will tell though, in your environment with your clients.

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I hadn't thought about the "dumbing" down aspect of combining those routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!