What's new

AiMesh - adding new nodes - NEVER successful on first attempt but works if retrying

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

charsiufan

Occasional Visitor
This is my understanding on how to add new nodes to an AiMesh:

1. Set up new box, browse to default IP 192.168.1.1 - step through and select to add it as a new node. It reboots.
2. Unplug ethernet to new box and ensure it is close to master router on the AiMesh
3. On the master box, search for new nodes. It will always show up.
4. Click on the new node and add it to the AiMesh

I have tried these steps many times but they NEVER work the first time. I get an error that it can't be added. Repeat adding it once or twice or so and eventually it will join the mesh. Is this normal behaviour for AiMesh?

This is my understanding on how to add new nodes to an AiMesh:

1. Set up new box, browse to default IP 192.168.1.1 - step through and select to add it as a new node. It reboots.
2. Unplug ethernet to new box and ensure it is close to master router on the AiMesh
3. On the master box, search for new nodes. It will always show up.
4. Click on the new node and add it to the AiMesh

I have tried these steps many times but they NEVER work the first time. I get an error that it can't be added. Repeat adding it once or twice or so and eventually it will join the mesh. Is this normal behaviour for AiMesh?

Reset all routers.

Configure the main router/root node. Search for and add remote nodes. Remote nodes must be in factory default reset state.

OE

To expand on what @OzarkEdge's Aimesh notes have taught and works each time for me. :)

The key is to fully reset to factory defaults the AiMesh node(s) you want to add and after they boot up, do not connect with them (via the GUI, ssh, or physically).

From the main AiMesh Router, 'point' to the new node you want to add and let it reboot and configure itself (it may take up to 10 minutes in my experience).

When the node is operational, I do a further reboot of both the main AiMesh router and all nodes in the following order.

• 'Safely' remove the USB drive from the GUI of the main AiMesh router (if any are in use, but particularly if amtm + Entware + scripts are in use).
  • Power down all routers/nodes.
  • Power on the Main AiMesh router, wait 10 minutes for it to become fully operation (i.e. particularly with scripts in use).
  • Power on all the nodes (order doesn't matter).
  • There may be a 5 to 10-minute window where the nodes need to become fully operational, but afterward, they are stable, indefinitely.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!