What's new

Aimesh and 160mhz Channel Bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djjsin

Regular Contributor
So, my setup includes 2 RT-AX86U devices setup using the 2.5g ethernet port as the ethernet backhaul. I Also have a XT8 setup as a wireless aimesh node, using 5Ghz-2 as the wireless backhaul. What i've noticed is that when I setup the XT8, i lose the ability to set the aimesh channel to anything below 100. This is causing me significant issues when trying to use 160Mhz. I have the router set to automatically pick a channel, and usually it picks channel 149, which doesnt support 160mhz. If i manually set it to the DFS channel 100, it does work and i see the 160mhz channel bandwidth, but i have some clients (Like Roku devices) which doesnt support using DFS channels, so using channel 100 is really not an option for this. Upon analyzing my network, i'm seeing that both the RT-AX86U devices are using channel 149, But the XT8 is using channel 36 the wifi network and 5Ghz-1 band.

Seems as though aimesh is reserving channel 36-64 for the aimesh node, even though the aimesh node isnt using 160Mhz channel bandwidth.

So my question is, is there anyway to reverse this? I'd like channel 149 to be used for the XT8 Aimesh node, and channel 36 used for my 2 RT-AX86U devices so i can take advantage of the 160Mhz channel bandwidth.

Why not? I want to play with it myself and see how well it works.

Decided to just move my rokus to the 2.4ghz network. Now that it's setup I'm noticing my XT8 actually connected with 160Mhz channel bandwidth. And I have multiple other devices that it works with.

Why not? I want to play with it myself and see how well it works.

Try it - please just don't complain when it doesn't meet expectations...

Search the forums, there's a fair amount of complaints there - most of them on the Asus subforums, but it's not Asus or Broadcom at fault

This is serious advantage.

Not really...

I think most folks would not recognize this from my 300/30 connection...

Once one gets to a certain point - the internet itself is slow...

I mean - "serious" advantage. Compromising Wi-Fi stability for no reason.

I agree with you...

160MHz wide channels in 6e - sure... no DFS to worry about.

160MHz wide channels in 5GHz - for those that can reliably use it, give it a try, but folks should know that it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I mean so far so good. I havent seen any major issues as of yet outside of a few older client compatibility issues given my interesting setup that locks me into using dfs channels to get 160hz because of the wireless XT8 node I'm using, but so far so good. And I am seeing an increase in bandwidth, between that wireless node who's backhaul is now using 160mhz, and the few devices that I have that support it.

And I'm on frontier gigabit Fiber. 900/900ish in speedtests over Ethernet or directly from my router. So my internet isn't my bottleneck.

I am using 160Mhz on Channel 40 on 2 x RT-AX88U in AiMesh mode since 2 years without ANY issue. WinFi 1.0.22 reports 4800 Mbps bandwidth on 5Ghz and I max out my gigabit connection using Intel AX200 and another laptop with AX210. I only select 160Mhz and not 20+40+80+160 combo option.