What's new

AiMESH and Guest Network - anyone got it working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Barwick Green

New Around Here
I have 2 Lyra running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_46249-g97d05bb connected to my DSL-AC68 router running 3.0.0.4.386-38287 using Ethernet backhaul. These firmware versions are the latest at the time of writing.

There's a menu option in the router Guest WiFi settings to enable sync to all AiMesh nodes, which I have selected and applied. Despite rebooting the router and the Lyra, the guest network is not being carried on the Lyra, only the router. There is an FAQ on the ASUS support pages on enabling guest WiFi on Lyra but it's from 2018 and refers to the Lyra app. When I try to use the app (Android 10) (1.0.0.0.83) and "log on to existing Lyra network" it says no Lyra are found, even though my phone is connected to one. The Asus Router app (1.0.0.5.61) sees my Lyra and my guest network but does not offer the option of enabling the guest network on the Lyra.

It's very annoying that I can't get the guest network to be repeated on the Lyra now that it appears as a menu option in the router config interface, has anyone else managed it?

I have 2 Lyra running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_46249-g97d05bb connected to my DSL-AC68 router running 3.0.0.4.386-38287 using Ethernet backhaul. These firmware versions are the latest at the time of writing.

There's a menu option in the router Guest WiFi settings to enable sync to all AiMesh nodes, which I have selected and applied. Despite rebooting the router and the Lyra, the guest network is not being carried on the Lyra, only the router. There is an FAQ on the ASUS support pages on enabling guest WiFi on Lyra but it's from 2018 and refers to the Lyra app. When I try to use the app (Android 10) (1.0.0.0.83) and "log on to existing Lyra network" it says no Lyra are found, even though my phone is connected to one. The Asus Router app (1.0.0.5.61) sees my Lyra and my guest network but does not offer the option of enabling the guest network on the Lyra.

It's very annoying that I can't get the guest network to be repeated on the Lyra now that it appears as a menu option in the router config interface, has anyone else managed it?

Some Guest WLAN reports:
o broadcast securely from router/AiMesh root node;
o do not broadcast from AiMesh remote nodes;
o broadcast from wired APs including AiMesh root nodes in AP Mode but are not securely isolated from LAN/WLANs;
o broadcast from router/AiMesh root node AND AiMesh remote nodes in a pure Zen WiFi AiMesh only...needs further verification of isolation from LAN/WLANs;
o no known report of how Guest WLANs behave across a pure Lyra AiMesh.

Your report of a 'menu option in the DSL-AC68U router Guest WiFi settings to enable sync to all AiMesh nodes' is unfamiliar to me and if present, would not be expected to affect the secure broadcast of Guest WLANs across attached AiMesh remote nodes, Lyra build or otherwise.

Does the DSL-AC68 router support AiMesh?

Is the Lyra AiMesh connected in AiMesh AP Mode?

OE

Some Guest WLAN reports:
o broadcast securely from router/AiMesh root node;
o do not broadcast from AiMesh remote nodes;
o broadcast from wired APs including AiMesh root nodes in AP Mode but are not securely isolated from LAN/WLANs;
o broadcast from router/AiMesh root node AND AiMesh remote nodes in a pure Zen WiFi AiMesh only...needs further verification of isolation from LAN/WLANs;
o no known report of how Guest WLANs behave across a pure Lyra AiMesh.

Your report of a 'menu option in the DSL-AC68U router Guest WiFi settings to enable sync to all AiMesh nodes' is unfamiliar to me and if present, would not be expected to affect the secure broadcast of Guest WLANs across attached AiMesh remote nodes, Lyra build or otherwise.

Does the DSL-AC68 router support AiMesh?

Is the Lyra AiMesh connected in AiMesh AP Mode?

OE
Yes, the DSL-AC68 suppots AI Mesh and is the primary node, the Lyras are the AiMesh Nodes. It all works perfectly with my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks. The router supports a guest network, currently only enabled at 2.4GHz. I've attached a screen shot of the menu otion set to "all", the other option is "router only". I've obviously blanked out the network credentials.

Attachments

• Guest WiFI Sync.jpg
    Guest WiFI Sync.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 998
Yes, the DSL-AC68 suppots AI Mesh and is the primary node, the Lyras are the AiMesh Nodes. It all works perfectly with my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi networks. The router supports a guest network, currently only enabled at 2.4GHz. I've attached a screen shot of the menu otion set to "all", the other option is "router only". I've obviously blanked out the network credentials.

You're right! I have not seen the "Sync to AiMesh Node" setting before now. It suggests Asus is introducing secure support for Guest WLANs across an AiMesh, which was rumored to be coming.

Maybe Lyra (and other) firmware is not ready for it yet... seems most likely. If so, then the wait continues.

OE

You're right! I have not seen the "Sync to AiMesh Node" setting before now. It suggests Asus is introducing secure support for Guest WLANs across an AiMesh, which was rumored to be coming.

Maybe Lyra (and other) firmware is not ready for it yet... seems most likely. If so, then the wait continues.

OE
I very much hope it is coming. When they first started to advertise the Lyra and AiMesh they said it "supported all the features of the router" so I bought it. When I found out the guest network wasn't supported, despite being an advertised feature of the router, I complained to the advertising standards authority. My complaint was upheld and Asus were reprimanded for inaccurate advertising. I'm disappointed the feature still doesn't work several years later, despite the menu option being there!

I very much hope it is coming. When they first started to advertise the Lyra and AiMesh they said it "supported all the features of the router" so I bought it. When I found out the guest network wasn't supported, despite being an advertised feature of the router, I complained to the advertising standards authority. My complaint was upheld and Asus were reprimanded for inaccurate advertising. I'm disappointed the feature still doesn't work several years later, despite the menu option being there!

advertising standards authority? You must not be in the US! :)

OE

Last edited:
Asus have finally got back to me. Despite the current firmware for the router having a menu option to enable guest network on just the router or all AiMesh Nodes, they have confirmed that the guest network is only available on the router. Their firmware quality control really has gone down the pan lately, what's the point of an option in the interface which they know doesn't work?

Asus have finally got back to me. Despite the current firmware for the router having a menu option to enable guest network on just the router or all AiMesh Nodes, they have confirmed that the guest network is only available on the router. Their firmware quality control really has gone down the pan lately, what's the point of an option in the interface which they know doesn't work?

No point... it's an aberration... not intended to be published at this time. Given it's on the odd duck DSL-AC68 gateway, I'll assume it won't even work with two of those in an AiMesh. Someday maybe, but not on a DSL-xxxx first.

OE