What's new

AIMesh and smartconnect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gravityz

My setup
RT-AX88U main router
RT-AC86U AImesh node
i have been using smartconnect for a while now, mainly because it forces a client not only to switch to 2.4Ghz but also back to 5Ghz when that signal is stronger.

i lately disabled smarconnect to see how aimesh is doing on it's own.

it looks like aimesh is doing the same, switching between nodes and back and forth between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

does it have an advantage to still use smartcoonect also because it looks it conflicts wit aimesh?

My setup
RT-AX88U main router
RT-AC86U AImesh node
i have been using smartconnect for a while now, mainly because it forces a client not only to switch to 2.4Ghz but also back to 5Ghz when that signal is stronger.

it looks like aimesh is doing the same, switching between nodes and back and forth between 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

does it have an advantage to still use smartcoonect also because it looks it conflicts wit aimesh?
There should be no conflict with SmartConnect and AiMesh. Some feel that SmartConnect is worthless but I feel it does no harm. I feel using the default WIFI settings is best. Your mileage may vary.
Do you need to upgrade your firmware?

My setup
RT-AX88U main router
RT-AC86U AImesh node

My AiMesh works fine without Smart Connect, and disabling it appears to permit a bit more flexibilty with Wireless settings.

You can simply try your clients with and without SC.

OE

thanks for the answers bbunge and OzarkEdge

my firmware is updated with latest versions (aimesh 2.0)

i will try for a while without smartconnect and after that i will enable it.

i noticed that aimesh prefers 5ghz which is a good thing
when walking around the house with inssider i can see it jump from a less stronger 5ghz to a stronger 5ghz and if all fails it will switch to the available 2.4ghz.

before i enabled aimesh the 2.4ghz was much stronger then the 5ghz. now with aimesh enabled it looks like 5ghz is almost as strong as 2.4ghz so the need to steer towards 2.4ghz because 5ghz gets out of range does only happen when i am outside the house

thanks for the answers bbunge and OzarkEdge

my firmware is updated with latest versions (aimesh 2.0)

i will try for a while without smartconnect and after that i will enable it.

i noticed that aimesh prefers 5ghz which is a good thing
when walking around the house with inssider i can see it jump from a less stronger 5ghz to a stronger 5ghz and if all fails it will switch to the available 2.4ghz.

before i enabled aimesh the 2.4ghz was much stronger then the 5ghz. now with aimesh enabled it looks like 5ghz is almost as strong as 2.4ghz so the need to steer towards 2.4ghz because 5ghz gets out of range does only happen when i am outside the house

Generally speaking, a dual-band client will/should connect to the 5.0 WLAN for better throughput/performance. And ideally, they will band steer to the 2.4 WLAN at some distance to stay connected. If not, then try using Smart Connect band steering.

OE