What's new

AiMesh Beginner help/advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

komradekristoph

New Around Here
Hi all, Happy New Year!

I'm new to AiMesh so was hoping someone could advise on the issue I recently faced, I have the following equipment below:

GT-AC5300
AiMesh Router mode
Tri-band
H/W Ver: A
F/W Ver: 3.0.0.4.384_82037-g0cfb8f0

RT-AC86U
AiMesh Node
Dual-band
H/W Ver: R1.5
F/W Ver: 3.0.0.4.384_32799-gfe72567

I setup a Dedicated Ethernet Back-haul from switch port 1 on GT-AC5300 to the WAN port on the RT-AC86U, it was working fine for about 2 days untill all of a sudden the RT-AC86U node went offline. I powered it off and back on again after a short while, it stayed online again for around 5 or so hours (that's a guess) and went offline again.

Looking at the Android Asus Router application I found an option where my 5GHZ-2 band was being used as a Dedicated Wireless Back-haul, knowing that the Ethernet cable works fine (I've tested it 3 different ways) I was surprised to see this. I'm assuming this is why the node went offline due to the distance between the 2 devices and poor signal, for some reason the setup chose to pick the wireless functionality as a priority.

I've had a read around and found that there used to be a dedicated AiMesh tab in the router's web GUI which Asus took it upon themselves to remove for some reason? Apparently this tab held an option to change the back-haul choice from Auto in order to specify whether you'd like Wired or Wireless?

I tried disabling the Dedicated Wireless Back-haul option in the Android application but it won't let you tap apply, it's greyed out.

Can someone advise if I'm doing something wrong or whether it's an issue with the AsusWRT firmware at this current point in time?

Thank you in advance!

Hi all, Happy New Year!

I'm new to AiMesh so was hoping someone could advise on the issue I recently faced, I have the following equipment below:

GT-AC5300
AiMesh Router mode
Tri-band

RT-AC86U
AiMesh Node
Dual-band

I setup a Dedicated Ethernet Back-haul from switch port 1 on GT-AC5300 to the WAN port on the RT-AC86U, it was working fine for about 2 days untill all of a sudden the RT-AC86U node went offline. I powered it off and back on again after a short while, it stayed online again for around 5 or so hours (that's a guess) and went offline again.

Looking at the Android Asus Router application I found an option where my 5GHZ-2 band was being used as a Dedicated Wireless Back-haul, knowing that the Ethernet cable works fine (I've tested it 3 different ways) I was surprised to see this. I'm assuming this is why the node went offline due to the distance between the 2 devices and poor signal, for some reason the setup chose to pick the wireless functionality as a priority.

I've had a read around and found that there used to be a dedicated AiMesh tab in the router's web GUI which Asus took it upon themselves to remove for some reason? Apparently this tab held an option to change the back-haul choice from Auto in order to specify whether you'd like Wired or Wireless?

I tried disabling the Dedicated Wireless Back-haul option in the Android application but it won't let you tap apply, it's greyed out.

Can someone advise if I'm doing something wrong or whether it's an issue with the AsusWRT firmware at this current point in time?

Thank you in advance!

A few points...

o I would use the router webUI to admin your network... one less component to secure and manage, the app.

o If you have a wired backhaul, it should logically be the preferred route, especially at distance, not wireless.

o AiMesh 2.0 has arrived recently for some released firmware (see the release notes) and introduces a dedicated AiMesh tab in the router webUI. So, this is being added, not removed.

o You may not be running the latest released firmware. The 32799 build on your AC86U is ancient and was known for node client connection/speed degradation issues.

I suggest you install the latest released firmware on your routers, reset the firmware to factory defaults, and then configure the router/root node from scratch and add the remote node. Don't configure the remote node directly.

See my install notes for basic settings (dual-band but still helpful). If AiMesh 2.0 is present and you are using all wired backhauls, enable AiMesh Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release all WiFi for client use.

There is a beta test here for new beta firmware. The latest RC2-10 release has issues, so avoid that one.

OE

Hi all, Happy New Year!

GT-AC5300
AiMesh Router mode
Tri-band

RT-AC86U
AiMesh Node
Dual-band

Thank you in advance!
Happy New Year.

Since you got a wired backhaul I'd recommend you ditch AiMess and put the AC86 in AP mode. Far more stable, more control, and not really anymore effort once it's set up and configured. I'm able to "fine tune" so that I get the least amount of frequency overlap and maximum coverage. Plus there's no "mass reconfiguration" should you ever need or want to upgrade one of the nodes. Plus you can use any routers you may have or acquire as an AP. Far more flexible. I still get life out of some AC66's to cover areas rarely used. I just power them up when needed.

I run multiple APs and there is very little effort to maintain. Even doing the firmware updates isn't that bad. Can be done while sitting on the couch :)

What the difference between configuring the second router as AP or as AiMesh with ethernet backhoul?
Maybe with AiMesh there is a correct band steering between router and AP bands?

What the difference between configuring the second router as AP or as AiMesh with ethernet backhoul?
Maybe with AiMesh there is a correct band steering between router and AP bands?

Besides setup and management, your clients may work better with... the only way to know is to try it.

Smart Connect performs band steering between the bands of the same node.

Roaming Assistant node steering may get an assist from AiMesh.

OE

Hi all

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to thank all those who provided an answer!

In the end it was a firmware update that fixed it for me on the RT-AC86U, when I did a firmware check on the router itself it was saying it had the latest version. I went to Asus's website and found a later version which I flashed to the router, everything is working as it should now and I was also able to set the Ethernet configuration as the default backhaul.

It's been stable for weeks now, I'm a little disappointed though that Asus are slow on providing an updated firmware for the GT-AC5300 though...