What's new

AiMesh between WiFi 5/6 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jellyroll19

New Around Here
Has anyone setup a Aimesh between WiFi5/6?

I have a WiFi 5 router (AC5300) and planning to setup a AiMesh network and was thinking of a pair of RT-AX92U. Both routers are tri-band however the main primary router (AC5300) is based on the WiFi 5 standard.

Would this setup work?

Dong Knows Tech (https://dongknows.com) suggested that you avoid mixing up routers with different WiFi standards, but I don't remember the reason for this. I had a similar set-up to you with a main RT-AC5300 and a RT-AX92u node, but I noticed that the AX92u router was not as powerful as the RT-AC5300 on the specs. It only had 2x2 stream, while the AC5300 has a 4x4 stream.

Note: if the AX92u is used in AiMesh wirelessly (with a wireless backhaul and not wired), then the AX92u is a WiFi 5 router (as the third-band is both the only WiFi 6 band and the only backhaul band (to my knowledge)).

If you're in Canada, the AC5300s are on sale in a lot of places so I'd suggest picking one of those up!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!